Diet plan for Monte Carlos...

MonteCarLois

Just for fun, I'm ruining my very solid '71. She was a boring, bench/column, 350/350 that needed paint and some cancer repair. Still nice, but boring. I stabbed a hot 402 in her and now I'm doing the body work and putting her on a major diet. I won't go into each and every detail, but she should loose between 500 and 600 lbs. That and the new 12-bolt and taller gears should put the Mudstains on alert. She's still under construction, but I had a question...

Does anyone know how to make a fiberglas mold? I know I could just buy the front clip or fenders/hood, but they're incredibly expensive and since originality is out the window, I could make the inner fenders part of the fenders, play with the hinge, blah blah blah. I even considered a lighter style front clip or ??????

Any thoughts on the diet or any other off-the-wall custom ideas????

Yeah, geez, I can see why. It sounds a lot like casting an engine block... sure it just takes some sand and hot iron, but to finish the project, you might as well manufacture them.

I'll think a little simpler, thanks!

Still open to diet plans...

well Richard I'm doing this with a car I race and the list is growing. Just depends on how much you want to "ruin" the car. For me I'm doing things I can reverse once this little fantasy wears off. The obvious, glass hood, glass rear deck, light aluminum wheels, minimum exhaust, probably could find some glass bumpers somewhere, aluminum engine bits (heads, intake, radiator, etc.), lightweight seats, remove any unnecessary accessories as well as brackets and braces.

You might also try Googling F.A.S.T and see if you can read up on that group. They do incredibly crazy things with stock appearing cars in this race class. They gut the insides out of the wiper motors, cut out every other spring out of the seats, things like that.

This is the kind of stuff you wake up in the middle of night thinking about..... grin

Well, I went with an entire pro front end, hood and trunk from Glassteck and found them to be quite in expensive. I'm sure by the time you get the original fender all prepped and ready to make a mold out of your spending quite a bit of money if the fender is not already perfect. I saw a Muscle car (T.V show) do it before and thought of how much work it really was and how you really end up spending about the same amount of money in the long run. Glasstek Link

Buy the time you end up fitting it and making all the brackets and buying fasteners (zeus) it ends up being very time consuming but not all that costly if you can do it yourself.

Check out my photobucket link maybe it will help make up your mind.

edit: you could also look at it as a horsepower to weight ratio where you want to go faster but you don't want to tear into the engine and ruin reliability and street ability. Kinda what I was thinking when I bought mine as well as the cost of fiberglass components compared to engine upgrades.

Garrett.

Well, I went with an entire pro front end, hood and trunk from Glassteck and found them to be quite in expensive. I'm sure by the time you get the original fender all prepped and ready to make a mold out of your spending quite a bit of money if the fender is not already perfect. I saw a Muscle car (T.V show) do it before and thought of how much work it really was and how you really end up spending about the same amount of money in the long run. Glasstek Link

Buy the time you end up fitting it and making all the brackets and buying fasteners (zeus) it ends up being very time consuming but not all that costly if you can do it yourself.

Check out my photobucket link maybe it will help make up your mind.

edit: you could also look at it as a horsepower to weight ratio where you want to go faster but you don't want to tear into the engine and ruin reliability and street ability. Kinda what I was thinking when I bought mine as well as the cost of fiberglass components compared to engine upgrades.

Garrett.

That's the one-piece front clip from Glasstek? It's marvelous!

Yes, HP to weight ratio is where I'm thinking (in the middle of the night, lol). And the F.A.S.T. cars are what I'm considering. There's a guy I know in Lake Orion who has a beautiful Hemi Challenger who wins almost every race (that he doesn't red-light) and it's very cool!