Widest Tire for a stock 15x7 rally wheel

Guest 84 Z28

I want to get my dad some street slicks for his 71 monte carlo for christmas. Could you tell me whats the widest radial slick that would fit on a 15x7 rally wheel and inside the wheels wells without rubbing. He has a big hp and torque 402 and he cant hook up to save his life.

Could you tell me whats the widest radial slick that would fit on a 15x7 rally wheel and inside the wheels wells without rubbing.

There's quite a few choices but you must first tell us a diameter of his exising tire (ex: 26", 27" 28", etc...)

The next question to you is you mention "radial slick", they do make a radial slick but is that what you want or are you referring to more of a "drag radial"?

Here's some pictures of tires...which type of tread style are you looking for, the brands I chose are random and for image purpose only.

Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tires/Drag Radial

mtt-3757r_w.jpg

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial Tires

bfg-54003_w.jpg

Hoosier D.O.T. Drag Radial Tires This is the closet type of tire you will get to a slick and still be a radial.

hoo-17310.jpg

Right now he has a 255/70/15 bfg's on the back. Which is a 29" tire. I dont think going down to a 28 " tire wouldnt be to bad either. The ET streets look the best to him so thats what im kind of looking for.

Right now he has a 255/70/15 bfg's on the back. Which is a 29" tire. I dont think going down to a 28 " tire wouldnt be to bad either. The ET streets look the best to him so thats what im kind of looking for.

we have 275x60x15 28" M/T drag radials on the back of our Monte with no fit issues....they're on 15x7 Cragars.....

• 4 months later...

On my 70 Monte, I have 255/60/15s on all 4 stock 15x7 rallys and I'm happy with them. No rubbing issues whatsoever. It is possible to go bigger I guess. I had a car with 265 tires on 7 inch rims and they appeared too big for the rim in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: rickc402
Red, what is the backspaceing on these rims?

Rick

Rick I believe the are 4 1/8th......

There are 3 Cragar SS 15x7" wheels available with very close b.s. sizes, the one with 4" of b.s. has conical style lug nuts 5x 4 3/4" bolt pattern...the one with 4.125 of b.s. has a shank style lug nut and the wheel bolt pattern that fits both a 5x4 3/4" and a 5x5"...and finally the last one has 4 1/4" of b.s. and has a conical style lug nut with a 5x4 3/4" only bolt pattern.