New bullet info update

dbreese

Ok I said I would pass along some info as decisions are being made in the build. Now this is tentative and subject to change. wink

World Products 400 block with 4 bolt mains

Callies Compstar 4340 crank / with 3.85 stroke

Scat 4340 H beam rods 5.85" length

Cam will be a Cammotion custom grind. More than likley a soild of some type.

Profiler aluminum heads ( Darrin Morgan formally with Reher&Morrison) bare 210 cc intake These things flow crazy numbers.

SRP Forged pistons. Still sorting this one out

Vic Jr intake with port matching

Prosystems 4150 carb. I'll give Patrick James the info and let him work his magic.

That's all for now.

David

awesome Dave..win the lottery? That should add some kick alright. You said cam will be mechanical of some type? What other choices are there beside flat and roller, you know it's gotta be roller.

I'm not up on my bored and stroke stuff, what does that give you? A guy I know just built a World 427, it is a mild build with a 671 and made 850 on pump gas. He did have quite a bit of trouble getting the cam to clear the rods but finally got it, very, very close though. Patrick will work wonders with that carb for sure. Better get that rollbar!!!Dave

David, are you guys still going to try and push the .680 lift numbers on the cam? Not seeing anything new from what we discussed. I think you could push those rods to 6"inch. Other than that, I am sure you will be happy.

What did your builder say about an ultralite crank? Or, did you forget to ask, :-). - Dave

p.s. - will try and talk to you tomorrow. I was working on the El Camino when you called earlier.

Hey Dave,

Sorry I nust not have been thinking when I gave you the possible cam lift but .680 would be kinda narley.LOL

Cam is more than likley in the low to mid.600 lift range not sure about the duration or lsa. I have a chance to talk directly with my guy as he was busy today but did talk to a friend that works with him. This was just a tentative list of stuff. I'll have to talk with him on rod length but I need to keep the displacement under 430 to compete in Drag Weeks N/A s/b class. Any thing over that and they bump me up to N/A B/B. I'm sure there is a method to his madness. LOL!! laugh

David

Hey Dave the cid should come out to 415. Trying to decide to go solid roller or solid flat tappet. What to do?? laugh

David

Dave,

When I switched from a flat tappet in the Monte to a roller the difference was very obvious...roller....you don't have to break it in, you can change the cam without changing the rollers (if they are good of course) and less friction. I'm not sure there's a down side but maybe someone else knows....

Quote:
was working on the El Camino

Thats what I've been doing since Sunday Dave is working on our El Camino. dbreese I think a roller would be a good choice, I'm sure either cam would be happy in the new motor. Sounds like on heck of a small bloxk good thing I stay on the street.

Originally Posted By: dbreese
Hey Dave the cid should come out to 415. Trying to decide to go solid roller or solid flat tappet. What to do?? laugh

David

Dave,

When I switched from a flat tappet in the Monte to a roller the difference was very obvious...roller....you don't have to break it in, you can change the cam without changing the rollers (if they are good of course) and less friction. I'm not sure there's a down side but maybe someone else knows....

David, I thought you decided to go full roller, you just needed to decide to either go solid roller or hyd. roller. Roller lifters are the way to go. - Dave

David, my moto has always been "if your going to be a bear be a grizzy".....solid roller baby (spend the dollars on the best lifters available)...you're going to have to upgrade your drivetrain to handle the new power grin (trans, driveshaft, rear)

David, my moto has always been "if your going to be a bear be a grizzy".....solid roller baby (spend the dollars on the best lifters available)...you're going to have to upgrade your drivetrain to handle the new power grin (trans, driveshaft, rear)

Heck it's only money....that make it every day! laugh Yeah I've been really considering a solid roller setup with isky Red Zone lifters and either Jesel or T&D shaft rockers. No muss no fuss! As far as drivetrain I'm going to have a 12 Bolt built with Ford ends (no c-clips). The tranny I have now is pretty stout. I know it is a th350 but it has some good parts in it. I have a guy giving me a th 400 that I'm going to rebuild and have as a spare just in case. As for the driveshaft I'm going with Denny's. The rear is going to have a BMR anti-roll bar setup so the thing will leave straight. Other than a a 6 point rollbar install that should do it.

David

Wow David your really making some changes. It just dawned on me that your talking about racing in the NA smallblock class instead of daily driver for Dragweek. Man that should be a lot of fun just trying to run as fast as you can at each track!!! Alright I'm now officially jealous.

Yea Tom I gonna have to see if the new setup will be competitve to run n/a s/b. If not DD is fine by me. I'll just have to keep my bracket racing skills honed (they are only butter knife sharp at best). laugh Some of the big dawgs (Yes I'm a UGA fan and that's how we say the word " dog") were not there this year so we will have to see.

David

Guest 72yellowmc

I'll have to agree with this one ... don't want to have to push her home .... it sounds like you could be in the 10's shifter

Originally Posted By: Cali Z28

I'll have to agree with this one ... don't want to have to push her home .... it sounds like you could be in the 10's shifter

That is what what my goal will be. It's gonna be tough Robyn with an all steel full interior stock suspension car. If I can get the suspension and converter to work I think I can get it done. I'm thinking my trap speed is gonna have to be around 126 mph. Heck that's only 18 more mph than what I trap now!! Should be easy..........yeah right! laugh

David

Those extra 18 mph are gonna feel like 50! Good luck with the build.

Thats definitely going to be a "Monte Sound Clip" I look forward to hearing! cool

Those extra 18 mph are gonna feel like 50! Good luck with the build.

Thats definitely going to be a "Monte Sound Clip" I look forward to hearing! cool

Thanks Mac,

I will be posting pic's of the build along with a sound clip of the new engine fired up.

David

David, Just out of curiosity did you figure out how much HP your going to need to hit you 10 second goal? That should be one sweet ride a 10 second small block ,pump gas, no power adder Monte. Whaa Hoo!!! shocked

David, Just out of curiosity did you figure out how much HP your going to need to hit you 10 second goal? That should be one sweet ride a 10 second small block ,pump gas, no power adder Monte. Whaa Hoo!!! shocked

That is a good question Tom. I don't know the answer. I'm guessing .................. a bunch!!!LOL. I'll have to use some online sim programs to get an idea. Just a guess 600+ flywheel to get solid 10's.

David

That will be something to witness. 10.00 sec SB. I'd be glad to get a 11.00 BB. I'd be glad just to get the car running good enough and long enough to make it to the track. lol Guess it will be next year now.

• 1 month later...
Ok I said I would pass along some info as decisions are being made in the build. Now this is tentative and subject to change. wink

Profiler aluminum heads ( Darrin Morgan formally with Reher&Morrison) bare 210 cc intake These things flow crazy numbers.

Prosystems 4150 carb. I'll give Patrick James the info and let him work his magic.

That's all for now.

David

Dave????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? grin

Originally Posted By: dbreese

That's all for now.

David

Dave????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? grin

Funny you should ask Dave grin. Got off work early and stopped by the shop. Crank, rods, pistons are in. He is backed up three engines deep. It will be a while before the machining begins. I'm gonna help with some of the assembly work and with his supervision do some of the port work on the heads and intake when he gets rolling. Still have to spec out the cam. Once that is done I'll give Patrick at Prosystems a call for a new carb and then Craig at Coan to get his advice on whether I'll need a re-stall on the converter.

He said if I wanted to spray the engine keep it 300 hp or less. My jaw nearly hit the floor. shocked I told him there were no immediate plans to spray but for grins and giggles I might hit it with a 150 shot in the distant future.

But I want to run Drag Week N/A so I'm not really interested with setting up a N2O system.

David