rear end whine

Guest silent72

Guest silent72

im starting to hear my rear end whine, its kinda loud and getting more noticeable. what does it mean? i just had the seal changed and noticed a small leak. is it out of fluid? i dont think its leaked that much. theres no sign of a puddle of fluid.

well for sure check the fluid but if it's whining louder something's wrong. Either it ran out of fluid and burned up the gears, the pinion has backed out or the gears have worn to the point of not aligning correctly anymore.... frown

It means you should have it checked out. Is it truly a whine, or a grumble, or does the noise change under load, coasting, or decellerating? Pretty much everything noisy back there is going to require some kind of repair. I've had axle bearings go bad, and I also had my carrier bearings go bad. Both required replacement, but my ring & pinion survived.

Guest silent72

i can hear the whine when im decelerating, but i can probably only hear it at that point because my exhaust is loud. the exhaust ends at the mufflers right under the rear seat. no turn downs.

i just had the seal changed and noticed a small leak.

Sounds like the pinion nut was not torqued properly. Double check it with a torque wrench. That will definately give you a whine on deceration if it wasn't torqued down.

Mike

Guest silent72

alright guys well the rear end took a dump. kinda. still works but it looks like the rear end is not the original and got replaced with something weaker than a 8.5 10 bolt. might even be a 7.5. so i looked on craigslist and saw a guy parting out some 70-72 buick skylarks, and hes selling a 8.5 10 bolt rear end. would i have any problems bolting on that buick rear end? it should just bolt right up right?

Information previously supplied:

Alrighty then!!!!

posted 10-05-2006 09:56 AM10-05-2006 09:56 AM

Check this article and sponcer links. Chances are you have an 8.5 inch ring gear, but be sure to check the housing to be sure. This article shows the housing differences.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/49998_10_bolt_identification_guide/index.html

big gear head

posted 10-05-2006 07:58 PM10-05-2006 07:58 PM

Most of the '71 and '72 Monte Carlos had the 8.2 10 bolt, but there were a few that got the 8.5 10 bolt. The 8.2 has a 1 1/8 pinion nut and 3/8 ring gear bolts with 9/16 heads. The 8.5 has a 1 1/4 pinion nut and 7/16 ring gear bolts with 3/4 heads and left hand threads. If you have the 8.2 with 2.73 gears then you will need a 3 series differential. This would be a good time to get a new Eaton 3 series posi. If you have the 8.5 rear end then you can use the 3.73 on the same differential as the 2.73.

RichMonte

posted 11-14-2006 06:06 PM11-14-2006 06:06 PM

Richmond makes gears for 8.2 from 3.08 up. they are strong but run a little noisey compared to some others like motive etc. GM gears are very (most) quiet but I can not attest to their strength. Do not skimp on gears especially if you are running an 8.2 rear. Also, i found Eaton posi to be perfect for all around street and some strip time. Clutches are not noisey and no chatter going around corners etc.

MY TWO CENTS

Posts: 33 | From: Montville, NJ | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged |

monzaz

posted 11-22-2006 01:04 AM11-22-2006 01:04 AM

All montes came with CHEVY c-clip 8.2 10 bolts in 1971 and 1972. In 1970 gm had some kind of strike and to keep the lines moving they used 10 bolt pontiac 8.2 bolt in axle differential (1970 only). 1970 -1972 12 bolt c-clip type differentials were also available option.

The 8.5 10 bolt did not come out till 1971 and they were only found under the skylark and oldsmobile. NOW NOT to say that your car does not have one but anything can happen over 30+ years. ALL of these rears from 1968 1972 interchange with very miner changes such as u-joints and shorter or longer driveshafts.

This is why just having the year is NOT good enough for rear differential or transmission or engine identification. Physical or factory casting number are a must...and even that may be unreliable.

On differentials ring gear size, ring gear bolts size and count compared with cover bolt number, bearing part numbers, pinion spline count, yoke type, and axle retention are some of the ways to physically id a rearend differential.

You can also use a ring gear spacer with the proper lenght bolts until you get the money for your 3 series unit. Proper install spacer will hold just fine on the street and minimal track use. Been tested already by me...

engine transmission and rearend rely on good installation to get the most from your performance parts. With out attention to the small details the performance parts will not hold any better than stock.

Good luck on your diff project if you need any help advise or parts (gears and posi rebuild kit) pm I will help you out. Or I think biggearhead does the same also. Jim

[ 11-22-2006, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: monzaz ]

Good luck on that stuff. Also remember the oold saying you get what you pay for. 25.00 I would say your going to be in the same spot again REAL SOON...lol.

I can build you a real nice rear all new parts 10 bolt 8.2 for 899.00 3.08 3.36 3.55 3.73 4.10 your choice. smile

• 1 month later...
Guest silent72

whats up guys, long time no see. i purchased a used rear end that came from a 72 buick skylark. everything looks beefier than the chevy one which is nice. i also bought the driveshaft that was from the skylark because its shorter than the chevy one. some members told me that i might need a shorter one and they were right. looks like all fits good. i put some new fluid in the rear and put it in drive on the jack stands. all looks good except the brakes. im going to put new wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums. they're all in bad condition. but the hardware looks like its been replaced not to long ago. hoping to get it done this weekend and go for a test drive. then we'll really see where we're at. thx everyone, always grateful for help and advice from fellow members.

Glad you hugged it out. An 8.5 is a pretty strong diff so you should do well with it. Losing the 8.2 is not hurting anyones feelings.

Just so you know, when the rear whines during decel, it is usually a carrier or pinion bearing. If you can lose the noise buy waving the car slightly side to side, it is usually an axle bearing.

Andy