Vic Jr Intake ?

dbreese

i've always wondered how well a monte would drive with a Turbo 3.8 v6 engine... the monte is only a couple hundred pounds heavier then a 80's G-body regal.......

Carefull what you wish for Tim. Just had a deal fall through for a spare drivetrain. I have an 87 engine/trans/harness/gas tank out of a GN. Complete, running when pulled. External wastegate, meth kit, Postons 107T cam, Precision Turbo 66mm BB turbo, 60 pound injectors, 3500 stall, all the goodies. Not sure why I was selling it in the first place. I was going to put it in my Malibu and I was feeling a little broke a few weeks ago. The combo should be good for an easy 550 RWHP in just about anything.

i'm curious if the 3.8 could offer better hwy mpg's and then the turbo make up for the lack of power. I'm not talking anything wild and crazy.. just somthing that could manage a 14 flat 1/4 mile and still get great mpg's.

right now, my 355 makes about 300hp.. pushes me thru the 1/4 in the 14.2's @ 96ish mph.. and gets about 13mpg hwy @ 70mph @ 2800 3300 rpm with 3.55 gears. (no overdrive).. IF my o.d worked, it'd be 2250rpm @70mph

right now, my 355 makes about 300hp.. pushes me thru the 1/4 in the 14.2's @ 96ish mph.. and gets about 13mpg hwy @ 70mph @ 2800 rpm with 3.55 gears. (no overdrive).. IF my o.d worked, it'd be 2250rpm @70mph

this is kinda getting off this topic, but at but in OD you should only be turning 1960rpm @ 70mph.

Originally Posted By: kc8oye
right now, my 355 makes about 300hp.. pushes me thru the 1/4 in the 14.2's @ 96ish mph.. and gets about 13mpg hwy @ 70mph @ 2800 rpm with 3.55 gears. (no overdrive).. IF my o.d worked, it'd be 2250rpm @70mph

this is kinda getting off this topic, but at but in OD you should only be turning 1960rpm @ 70mph.

How did you arrive at that conclusion w/o knowing my rear tire height?

If you used my 3rd gear rev's.. that might explain it.. I had the wrong #.. it's about 3300 or so in 3rd gear. I have no idea where I got 2800 from lol

How did you arrive at that conclusion w/o knowing my rear tire height?

If you used my 3rd gear rev's.. that might explain it.. I had the wrong #.. it's about 3300 or so in 3rd gear. I have no idea where I got 2800 from

I don't need your tire height, if your running 3300rpm in drive, then 70mph in OD would be 2310rpm.

right now, my 355 makes about 300hp.. pushes me thru the 1/4 in the 14.2's @ 96ish mph.. and gets about 13mpg hwy @ 70mph @ 2800 3300 rpm with 3.55 gears. (no overdrive).. IF my o.d worked, it'd be 2250rpm @70mph

Something doesn't sound right.

13 mpg isn't very good, and your ET isn't spectacular.

What cam are you running? Is it unhappy at your cruise rpm? I'd think that most street cams should be in their sweet spot by the time you get to 3000 rpm, but it sounds like you are burning fuel and not getting much power in return.

My 454 and 3.31 gear get me down the quarter in the low 13's, and net me 15+ mpg at 70 mph cruise.

The difference between the 3.31 and 3.55 gear would be nearly insignificant.

i don't know mark. I've been fighting with !@#$ mileage with this car since I had it.. only time it did well was when I had a qjet on a 305 with my TH350 and 2.73's

my 02 gauge puts me just a gnats hair on the rich side of 14.7 so I'm not really sure what's the deal here.

however.. something that's just come to light recently. my compression is a LOT higher then I thought it was. for some reason I thought i was somewhere around 9.3-9.5 I'm actually 9.9

(flat top pistons with 69cc heads)

so as I was trying to run on mid grade, I was pulling a lot of timing out to deal with the pinging in the warm air. since I went to strictly premium (92 octane) and added about 4° of timing it's a LOT more powerful and responsive..b ut I haven't made much of an effort to check the milage.

and that 13mpg with with _OUT_ o.d @ 3300ish rpm.

my car weighs 4,020lbs with me in in it.. (on the scales)

and your 454 problaby makes a HELLUVA lot more low rpm torque then my 350 :P~

leo's 'slightly built' 396 in his 72 ran 14.0's with wheel spin so I Figure my 350 doing in 14.2's aint' that bad :P~

Tim why are you stressing out about gas mileage with a car you like to flog? If you find 2 mpg for a 20 gal tank that works out to about $8 a tank. You go through more than that in tire every time you do one of your burnouts. Don't worry about the mpg and just have fun with it.... grin

because I drive the living !@#$ out of the car. I routinely make the 150 mile round-trip to leo's with the car. at $40 a trip it gets expensive.

I've done 50,000 miles in the last 5 years with my monte. when I say I drive it.. I'm not talking a couple miles a weekend!

and I just plain refuse to 'settle' for bad mileage.

because I drive the living !@#$ out of the car. I routinely make the 150 mile round-trip to leo's with the car. at $40 a trip it gets expensive.

I've done 50,000 miles in the last 5 years with my monte. when I say I drive it.. I'm not talking a couple miles a weekend!

and I just plain refuse to 'settle' for bad mileage.

But Timmy, if you're worried about "settling", Vortec heads, a Lunati cam and a Victor Jr. intake aren't going to do much to move you from 13 to 15 mpg, not that 15 would be considered good mileage. Over a year the difference between 13 and 15 mpg is about .27 gals per day ($.81) per your numbers. You can spend a bunch of money to pick up a few mpg but the ROI will be waaaay out there.... grin