Torque Converters

70 Iron

The Coan should be fine, but it was probably originally built for someone else who defaulted on the deal as I don't think that they have of the shelf converters for sale, but hey if it works for ya, great. I personally don't don't believe you can have too much overkill when it comes to quality. If you can't afford it today wait until tomarrow when you can. Buy the best first time around and it will give you the most bang for the buck and for the longest. Custom application torque converters are the only way to go. Coan, Yank, ATI, and Midwest are all good choices. Most of the rest are either off the shelf, or for light to medium duty. You have big, heavy car that needs the correct torque multiplication to get out of the hole no matter what factors the rest of your power train are. Without the proper converter it doesn't matter how much power you are making and with what gear, if you can't get that power to the rear it's useless. Way leave power on the table when you don't have to. JMHO. Believe who you want. Most folks don't listen anyway as we are all experts.

mine didn't come with bolts Terry so if you want to replace them you'll have to pony up..... grin

More Money,I'm glad that I live close to Tony and Rich if I run short on cash ,they are only a hour away :-).

I made a deal with a local garage "friend" to put this engine in.He needs alot of El Camino parts that I have so we are going to trade labor for parts.I have health issues and should not be doing this myself.I hate not doing it but sometimes good sense prevails. I will be looking in on the progress and coaching some things that I want done a certain way.He has the lift ect which I don't and will make it much easier.He going to do this after shop hrs.He is coming up this evening to get the engine and I will be taking the Monte down too. So maybe by the wk end .

I'll send Tony a pic of the engine and maybe he will post it.

Terry

not to worry my friend, us old guys have crawled under cars long enough. Every time I do I need 3 months of physical therapy to stop the pain. I have a shop I use a lot and now they let me play around down there so I get to do things with a lift. Any time you can trade for labor that's a good deal..... grin

ARP bolts aren't real expensive... I put an SFI approved flex plate in the monte while I had the trans out, and the ARP flexplate to crank bolts only cost me $8 for the set..

680HP- Coan has plenty of "off the shelf" converters. No way they custom build each one of these:

http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?CatClass=02CO

I'm thinking our friend here got one of these:

Diameter: 11 Transmission: TH MP: STD Stall: 2600-2800

11" TURBO STREET PERFORMANCE "BLEM" ( COSMETICALLY IMPERFECT) CONVERTER $195

http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductLine=REFURB

And, yes I am hardly an expert. But in my experience with B&M converters, I have never had one fail. Thousands of street miles- I don't even run a cooler other than through the radiator. Plus hundreds of 1/4-mile passes (with slicks)- many on the bottle. My very heavy Camaro (3800lb with me in it) goes 10's with a home-grown 540- and with the B&M 2400, I don't think I'm leaving much on the table in the way of hp.

Yes, I'm sure all those places make good converters. Maybe I am wrong, but I think our friend is asking about our experiences- not a sales pitch for these places.

Peace

Cost isn't an issue, I'm spending my kids inheritance :-).

I live in the middle of nowhere and its difficult to run and pick something up.I mostly order it or drive for a distance.

Terry

I'll send Tony a pic of the engine and maybe he will post it.

Terry

I posted a picture of it here on a new thread

Originally Posted By: 70 Iron
I'm glad that I live close to Tony and Rich if I run short on cash ,they are only a hour away :-). Terry

As far as being short on money, Im sure Rich will be happy to help! lol