Torque Converters

70 Iron

I would like to order one to put in with this engine. "ZZ454/440" I do not race and mostly just cruise,maybe a burnout now and then :-).What would be a good choice for my driving? I am looking at either a B&M Holeshot 3000, 28-32 stall and a Holeshot 2400, 2200-2400 stall.I want enough but not too much so it won't be trying to take off at the red light.I also want to take off from a stoplight without too much R's,before lockup. I had the 3000 hole shot in a chevelle 410:1 400 tranny yrs ago and liked it.Any suggestions ?

I have a 350 tranny and 331:1 12 bolt posi.in the Monte.

Terry

Agreed. I went with a Coan in mine, and told the guy what I intended to use it for and stated my fear of it driving like a jet-ski. My combo is similar to yours with 468 and TH400 with 3.31 gear. (The TH400 has a little taller 1st gear and likes a little higher stall than the TH350) Anyway, Coan set me up with a "tight" converter of about 2500 stall.

The engine is much happier at idle, but I lost a bit of the neck snapping throttle response when you jab it a bit while cruising along. The biggest difference for me was the effect it had on engine braking. I nearly didn't need brakes at all when exiting the freeway before, but the new converter feels almost like it goes into neutral when you let off the gas...so you have to slow down with brake aplication.

It's stuff you will get used to, but worth mentioning. It does change the personality of the car.

Terry I happen to have both, a Holeshot 2400 in the Monte and a custom 3500 10" Coan in the Chevelle. I think they both work well in their respective application. The custom converters are great in that as stated above they will build it to your setup/needs but they are on the expensive side.

It doesn't sound to me that you have a bunch of technical needs (racing) so if you want to keep the cost down the 2400 would be a nice converter. There are plenty of others, but if you liked it before there's no reason you won't like it again. From what you described I wouldn't go over the 2400.

If you decide to take the plunge on a custom I couldn't agree more on the Coan, the Chevelle loves it...here's the guy

Craig McCaughey

Coan Engineering

Ph. 765-456-3957

Fax 765-456-3960

Dave..... grin

Thanks Guys, I just emailed Conan with all my specs and needs,will see what they have

Thanks Dave ,If your happy with the B&M 2400 thats good because thats where I'm leaning. I'll see what Conan has too

Terry

I am running a Daaco converter in my 700r4, it's a 2400 stall, (with lockup) and i love it.. it's super tight, around town at 'normal' driving levels, it feels pretty much like a stock converter, I can let of the brakes even on a slight incline and the car will roll forward even at the 700rpm idle. but if I punch it from a stand still it will happily flash to about 2500 then light the tires up smile

I don't mind spending a little extra to get one that will hold up for my driving but don't want over kill. Do it right the first time or do it again !!I hope they have one in stock that will fit my needs,going to need it this week.Didn't realize there would be much to it until I read all the post.I was just going to call Jegs and order one :-).

A friend of mine has a Hughes behind a 454/500 and seems happy with it and another has one behind a built 350. First I ever heard of one till recently.

Terry

I just realized that I posted on Engine Tech ,Bad Me

I don't mind spending a little extra to get one that will hold up for my driving but don't want over kill. Do it right the first time or do it again !!I hope they have one in stock that will fit my needs,going to need it this week.Didn't realize there would be much to it until I read all the post.I was just going to call Jegs and order one :-).

A friend of mine has a Hughes behind a 454/500 and seems happy with it and another has one behind a built 350. First I ever heard of one till recently.

Terry

I just realized that I posted on Engine Tech ,Bad Me

it's connected to the engine.... grin...I have never used any Hughes stuff intil now, I'm going to try one of their comp manual valve bodies in the Chevelle as they are one of the few that have a forward pattern without a transbrake......

Coan 2500 stall is on the way. A guy named Art called this morning and thinks this will suit my needs.The cost is under 200. and had one in stock :-).Now I must shake the lazy bug and get busy ! Thanks with the help

Terry

I've decided that I'm going with a Hughes 3500, manual valve body w/transbrake. Right after the first of the year they are going to start to build me the TH 350. I've got to get the ratch shifter. Know anyone who might need a nice 700R4

3000 isn't a bad place for a stock converter provided it's a 'tight' unit.. unlike B&M units that flash like a light switch...

leo's race monte has a B&M 3000 and the car won't even move until you get it over 3k, then it wants to lurch forward.. makes putting it on the trailer fun.

3000 isn't a bad place for a stock converter provided it's a 'tight' unit.. unlike B&M units that flash like a light switch...

leo's race monte has a B&M 3000 and the car won't even move until you get it over 3k, then it wants to lurch forward.. makes putting it on the trailer fun.

guerss it depends on the converter, my B&M in the Monte drives perfectly fine.... grin

This topic comes up every couple of months. I'm glad to see someone else say something positive about the B&M. I love my B&M converters- I have the same one (2400 Nitrous) in my Monte and Camaro.

But for less than $200, that Coan sounds like a steal. Coan is a pretty reputable name, right?

This topic comes up every couple of months. I'm glad to see someone else say something positive about the B&M. I love my B&M converters- I have the same one (2400 Nitrous) in my Monte and Camaro.

But for less than $200, that Coan sounds like a steal. Coan is a pretty reputable name, right?

We have one of each and like them both...$200 for a Coan is a steal..... grin

My problem was finding a converter that was rated to take upwards of 500 lbft torque. If I had a smaller motor, the options were endless.

My Coan was around 500 bucks. It was full of needle bearing thrust washers, though. Pretty heavy-duty stuff.

No regrets.

I'm not sure what the B&M Nitrous is rated at, but my Monte is probably in the 500lbft neighborhood and my Camaro must have much, much more than that- and I beat the hell out of them. At ~$300, it is hard to argue against them.

When I emailed Coan I gave them all the specs from this engine and he even repeated it when he called so I hope that the one I'm getting will take the 500 torque.

After reading that I got such a deal,I thought I may of misunderstood him on the price so I called my card service to see what was charged.It was $215 with shipping.I will make sure that it will take the BB ,I'll call tomorrow

Terry

Yea guys,most of my driving is easy any more,now and then maybe a burn out or punch it while I'm rolling so it should out last me. I didn't think about getting new bolts with it ,do they come with it? I'll get some locally if not .Would they be grade #8 or what?

Terry