hood insulation ?

dbreese

I'm trying to gain a little more clearence under the hood. My insulation I have now is pretty nasty. If I were to remove the insulation would the excess heat from the engine cause issues with the paint fade on the hood? The air cleaner lid (drop base) rubs the insulation now. I have a 1/2" aluminum carb spacer and a 1/2" air cleaner spacer (helps the lid clear the bowl vents on the carb).

TIA

David

i've never had a hood pad on my monte in the 6 years i've owned it.. never had any issues with the paint on the hood.

and I've done over 50,000 miles in those 6 years.

and I'm running a small block with long tube headers so I deafinately have a lot of underhood heat!

no problems with either car Dave...when you run it is the air cleaner on or off?

Hey Dave,

No, I always run the air cleaner cause if I didn't the engine would more than likley suck down about a pound of dirt that is in the insulation. laugh

I'm trying to get enough clearence to run the vic jr with a 1" spacer and I think with the insulation out it might work. Thanks for the replies Tim and Dave. Insulation will be coming of and I will clean it up and shoot it with some satin black.

David

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
no problems with either car Dave...when you run it is the air cleaner on or off?

Hey Dave,

No, I always run the air cleaner cause if I didn't the engine would more than likley suck down about a pound of dirt that is in the insulation. laugh

I'm trying to get enough clearence to run the vic jr with a 1" spacer and I think with the insulation out it might work. Thanks for the replies Tim and Dave. Insulation will be coming of and I will clean it up and shoot it with some satin black.

David

Dave, kind of a funny story. When I was first running the Chevelle I ran into a problem where I would launch the car and about 200ft out it would just shut off, like it was running out of gas. I could nurse it back to the pits but every time I tried to run it would do the same. Obviously I had a fuel problem so I decided to go ahead and upgrade the entire fuel system, full 3/8 line, new filters and Holley pump. Took it back to the track and same thing mad. I got back to the pits, opened the hood and just stared at it in disgust. I looked up from the motor and saw it, a perfect outline of the airhorm cut into the hood insulation!! When the motor stared to do its thing the carb was sucking the stuff right down on top of it and stalling out the motor. Ripped out the pad and no more issues... grin

I know a lot of guys say they never run without the air cleaner but I've never run with one. I use a short velosity stack to direct the air from the cowl hood into the carb (looks cool too), it has the stock Gm intake with a 1" spacer (going to try a 2"). To me the air cleaner is a variable because it will get restricted in time and you can't jet accurately. I know one thing, my motor wants fuel and air so I give it all I can. My plan is next year to go to a AirGap with the 1" spacer because I'll have my new hood with more room (the Chevelle is even tighter than the Monte). Because you are going to pull a lot more r's than I do the Victor Jr will be perfect IMHO.... grin

it didn't take me very long.. and I only had to cut a little bit of the hood 'structure' away.

this is where I'm going with mine:

When it's done, I'm going to put the hood insulation back on to hide the pop rivets that will be holding the scoop on permanantly.

hood_side.jpg