HELP!!! i NEED AN ORANGE TH400 GEAR TODAY!!!!

Z06Electron

Trying to use the wrong o ring on the housing resulted in a broken gear. The car is up on jackstands blocking my driveway and I need a gear, GM can't get it until monday. Napa said no go, said a tranny shop might have it, but most are closed today. Any ideas? Could I epoxy the gear back together?

you can drive it around the driveway w/o a gear in it... it might leak a little bit.. but just put the housin back in the hole for the time being.. (I'm assuming you are talking speedo gears)

Yeah, I managed to get the epoxy to hold. It was one hour full set. Seemed pretty strong. sanded it down smooth so it would fit back in. Tranny was way low on oil, 4 qts didn't even get up to the dipstick. Got me up the driveway at least. Hasn't leaked in the last 20 minutes. Fingers crossed the main seal wasn't out. I guess leaking from one spot would still be better than five lol

I ordered a new gear from GM for when it most certainly breaks. My first goal was to just stop the damn oil leaks. Engine oil leak is bad, but slow, very slow, the tranny leak dumped AT LEAST 2 qts in a month, maybe more. Hopefully now it will stop. New Summit trans pan looks really nice and fit really well. I highly recommend them.

A Z06 guy is certainly not fond of oil leaks. Been a tech all my life and the most leaks I ever had to fix on a LS based engine was a oil cooler o-ring.

Stop breaking stuff, it is counter productive to the scene.

Andy

Yeah it was really dumb, I know better, but I was trying to rush it.

Soooooo it is still leaking off the front of the pan, which I'm guessing is the main seal. I guess it makes sense that based on age all the seals went at the same time. I'm looking at pulling the tranny to fix that aren't I? smirk

It really sucks to go through all the work to pull a tranny for a car that is ultimately not going to be run with this tranny anyway. Should I just try to manage the leak? Just really annoying dealing with all the oil.

We'll see if my z06 doesn't leak oil in another 30 years lol

Honestly I've been fortunate especially for a car almost 8 years old with 13k miles on it. I would actually prefer differntial leaks at this point to this tranny leak.

I'm guessing the guy that sold me the car was pretty well aware of the leak as it is dumping at a rate of about a quart a week (pretty serious I guess).

At this point I'm contemplating just draining the pan and letting it leak itself dry. Then just consider it to be in non-operational condition until I can afford to replace the entire driveline. This isn't really the order I wanted to go in, and I'm wondering if maybe reselling the car and buying a more worthwhile project car. The point in getting this car was to have a project that could also function as an emergency backup car, but this isn't something this car is going to be able to do without major labor on my part. Someone looking to part the thing out for one of their projects or who needs donor parts probably wouldn't care about a leaking tranny, and they could probably get close to their money back just from the driveline.