Driveline build

Chevyss

The parts are finally coming together. Trans is almost done. TH400 w/3500 stall, reverse valve body and trans brake, all HD guts, Hurst pistol grip shifter, new Moser axles, c-clip eliminators, 12 bolt cover with bearing cap support.

Comments please. Hopefully this will make the driveline as strong as it needs to be. OH! New Denny's driveshaft is next.

Reports later.

You didn't mention which carrier you are using and who's ring and pinion you are using. Both are very important as well. If you are driving this car on the street I'm not a big fan of c-clip eliminators. Too many run away axles going around corners. Weld-on bearing housing ends prevent that and you can corner as hard as you want. It's like having a 9"/12-bolt hybrid. The best of both.

You didn't mention which carrier you are using and who's ring and pinion you are using. Both are very important as well. If you are driving this car on the street I'm not a big fan of c-clip eliminators. Too many run away axles going around corners. Weld-on bearing housing ends prevent that and you can corner as hard as you want. It's like having a 9"/12-bolt hybrid. The best of both.

Greg, you've made this statement a couple of times now, what are you talking about? I don't understand.....Davey

Royce, don't forget a good support rear cover...the end caps are probably the weakest link...Davey

Pictures to come next week after the install begins. I've had the c-clip eliminators for three years and never had any problems. It's an Auburn Posi unit and Richmond gears. Hopefully the rear axle will survice one season just to see how the car performs. Davey, I'm putting on a TFS rear cover with the bearing cap support.

Royce's original statement...

12 bolt cover with bearing cap support.

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
Royce, don't forget a good support rear cover...the end caps are probably the weakest link...Davey

Sorry Dave I couldn't resist... grin

Although Royce may have went back and edited his post after you made yours...hmmmm.... smile

Thats gonna be a great combo! And thats the shifter I want too...

You going to fit that shifter in an original console or just open and mounted to the floor?

I have a bench seat car, so the shifter will be mounted on the floor. Several members said it's good to build the floor up so the shifter is easier to work. Next week I'll start getting pictures.

I also have the C Clip Elimators. No issues here.

I've heard a Spool is dangerous in the curves crazy Never drove a car with one though...

Sounds like a tough rearend Royce, I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Well, the work started and stopped in about 5 mins. The Summit parts I received are wrong. C-clip elim kit just slides down over the axle. Summit can't figure it out. They said that it should be ok. I told them no way will this work. So, they will be calling Moser to see what's up.

MSR c-clip kit is msr-9000, and the axles are msr 3003. Has anyone used these

Auburn posi unit with Richmond gears. Hopefully it will be strong enough to handle what I have. Have to replace driveshaft. Denny's is good????? Nitrous ready driveshaft????

Hey Royce,

This is the rear I'm updating to so it will handle the new bullet;

12boltmoser003.jpg

Moser housing with Ford ends, 33 spline Moser axles, Detroit Tru Trac posi, 3.73 Motive gears, poly upper bushings 1/2 screw in studs, TA performance rear cover and a 1350 yoke. Now I have to drive to Ohio to get it and trade my old 10 bolt 8.2. BTW Jim Mitschke from JD race and restoration did the build. Nice guy to deal with and resonable too.

Your build does look stout. What size pinion yoke are you using?

David

Not sure yet. Depends on what Denny's recommends once we give him the specs on the driveshaft. By the way, "Nice looking rearend.

Royce...that's a bit personal... grin

On your C-Clip elmin's, I think there are two different seat sizes, the 9000 and the 9200...do you have the seat spec's for the axles?

Now I have to drive to Ohio to get it and trade my old 10 bolt 8.2. BTW Jim Mitschke from JD race and restoration did the build. Nice guy to deal with and resonable too.

When are you going to pick it up? He only lives a couple miles from my house and I wouldn't mind meeting you and checking out his shop at the same time, I'm looking to have a rearend built and have been thinking about having him do it.

Talked to Summit this am and I think we've figured it out. There are only two options. 9000 and 9200. They only have two options for axles. 3003 and 3003-1. Different size axles. Not completely sure way the different?? Guess we'll figure it out when the next kit gets here.

Originally Posted By: dbreese
Now I have to drive to Ohio to get it and trade my old 10 bolt 8.2. BTW Jim Mitschke from JD race and restoration did the build. Nice guy to deal with and resonable too.

When are you going to pick it up? He only lives a couple miles from my house and I wouldn't mind meeting you and checking out his shop at the same time, I'm looking to have a rearend built and have been thinking about having him do it.

Hey Bill,

It will be a couple of weeks as I'm on call for the next two weekends (there are always fugitives to catch LOL!!). It would be great to meet up with you and I'd love to see the Monte. I'm going to see if Jim would come down to his shop on Sat morning. My plan is to get up early on a Friday and drive straight through. Mapquest shows like 15 hrs but I think i can do it in 12 LOL!! BTW any hotels close by?

As for the rear Jim saved me about 500.00. I've talked with him and e-mailed him and he is real easy to work with. I have seen his work on this site in the F/S section as well as the chevelle site and ebay. Heck he told me don't worry about paying him till I come pick it up but I feel since the job is complete and he has money out of his pocket on parts/labor he needs to get paid. PMO goes out this week.

Take care,

David