Front runners

Chevyss

I'm getting ready to get some front tires for the Monte and I'm (once again) asking for help. Is there some fabulous formula to figure what you should buy for your car??? First choice is Hoosier. Thanks for the information in advance.

I am stuck on 165R15 Bug tires on the Malibus 3.5 inch Convo Pro. Just don't try to turn in a hurry. I am just cheap in some ways. The early Beetle tires run about $38 each. Mickey Tompson front runners are well over $100.

Andy

I am stuck on 165R15 Bug tires on the Malibus 3.5 inch Convo Pro. Just don't try to turn in a hurry. I am just cheap in some ways. The early Beetle tires run about $38 each. Mickey Tompson front runners are well over $100.

Andy

I hope you aren't doing any High Speed passes with those tires. I used to run the same until I lost the Tread of the left front in Third Gear at close to 125 MPH. It was a Butt puckering experience to say the least, not to mention ruining the left Fender, moldings, and rocker when it came off.

Shortly after this occurred I had numerous people inform me that the Beetle Tires really aren't made for Speed or handle the weight of a Monte Carlo. Now I have Mickey Thompsons.

I'm checking out tires and wheels now. That sounds like a great setup Dave. Pics????

Just click on one of the photobucket links in my sig. I think the second one gives a good shot.

David

I'm running 15X5 1/2" wheels with 3 1/2" backspacing with a Pro-Trac 27" tall tire. You can see the front wheel and tire in my sig but here's a bigger picture.

21979060100_large.jpg

I talked to you before about how I bought and mounted these tires (LINK)...it's a great tire with a 8 ply rating good for our heavy cars but it was so short at only like 25 1/2"...they state they are 26" but they measured much shorter. I disliked them so much I returned them, unfortunately they do not make that tire taller with a 8 ply rating so I just used my old tires that I already had.

I'm curious Bill: with the short tires you returned, what was it about them you didn't like? Was it just that they looked funny?

I'm curious Bill: with the short tires you returned, what was it about them you didn't like? Was it just that they looked funny?

yeah they do Mark.....the first set I got for the Velle (M/T Sportsman SR's) were only about 24.5...sent them back and got some 26's..looks better and has a higher load rating...I just got a set of 27's for Red's car, changing it over to some billet wheels...

Exactly...I had them mounted and they were on the car (car never moved)...I looked at them long and hard but could not bring myself to drive it with such tiny tires...looked ridiculous in my opinion.

Now that I think about it I think their true measurement was 24 something inches like Dave mentioned.