Vintage Vehicle Information Package

MGD72Monte

I had heard of a GM restoration packet which would provide all kinds of info about my 72 Monte. After getting some numbers from GM, I ended referred to GM Media Archive .

As the site and their phone message says: For a fee of $50, the GM Heritage Center will decode the vehicle identification number (VIN), the body plate/trim tag codes and provide photocopies of product literature including (when available):

- Divisional Engineering Specifications

- AMA/MVMA Specifications

- Product Selling Information/Salesperson's Guides

- Options and Accessories Information

- Paint and Trim Guides

- Sales Literature

- Owner's Literature

- Production Volumes

I already have decoded my VIN and body plate, I have the list of all the previous owners of my car but still like to get my hands on anything historical about the car I can.

Has anyone out there ordered this package? What really is in there for the Monte? Is it worth the $50?

Thanks

Try calling (800)222-1020 and and ask for the free GM Restoration package Jake is talking about. Have your VIN available just in case they ask for it. I don't know if they still offer this free service or not but it is worth a try. Just come back here and tell us if you get it.

rob

Rob,

Thanks, that's the number I called. They told me that was not the correct department. They first referred me to GM restorations phone number and site. The site had nothing except a couple of trim/console parts for sale. The lady at the restorations phone number told me she had heard of the packets but she did not have them and she had no idea how to get them. How can you work in GM's restoration department and be so clueless about this tired? Anyway, I went back to the 1020 number and this time they referred me to the correct number and the media archive site I indicated above. The phone number leads you to a recording which advises you of the cost of the packet and asks you to leave your order on a phone msg or order through the media site. The site/phone price is the same.

I'm thinking that this must be part of GM's post bankrupcy get well plan (i.e. no more free stuff cry).

Basically I haven't decided if I'm going to order this yet. I haven't heard anyone say what is really in there for the Monte to judge if it's really anything more than I already have. Stuff I don't have that I would be interested in:

- any assembly line related details (I already know where it was built so maybe total Monte production for this plant, etc...)

- which dealership it was delivered to and when

- window sticker details like MSRP

- date of purchase, etc...

Thanks

I don't think the packet will have the information you're looking for. I know Canadian made cars have a lot more information available, but the US plants didn't keep track of much. So if your car was made at the Canada plant you're in luck if not...

Hey MG, let me know if the car is from Oshawa Ontario Canada, and I will give you a hand with phone numbers up here and names to get you in contact with...GM Canada documented really well and the package is cool,the GM doc list comes on a GM letterhead with RPO numbers and the options listed for your car and lots of other stuff. One of our other Junoir members over in Nova Scotia named Danny got his 1970 Monte SS with the GM docs and info and my 70 chevelle as well. any of the local GM dealers up hear can get it done for you for around $50 as well takes 2 weeks.....

Darren.

Hey MG, here is some info for the Oshawa guys,

To Order Your Factory Documentation Package:

Research charges are $58.85 CDN ( US rate varies according to exchange ) payable Visa, Mastercard or certified cheque/money order..

Note: Rush Service is an additional $10.00

Credit cards can be accepted over the phone at 905-440-7689 or securely faxed on 905-440-7644.

Contact Us:

The phone number in Oshawa, Ontario Canada is:

George: 905-440-7636, Frank: 905-440-7618, and the general line is 905-440-7689

Inside Canada Toll free - 1-888-467-6853 from 7:30am to 5:00pm Eastern, Monday to Friday

Email address:

George.Zapora@cc.gmcanada.com

Canadian built Monte Carlo's that were made and shipped to US dealerships for sale are as follows:

All Canadian built 1970 Monte carlo's were sold in Canada only that year,

1971- 16,003 were shipped Stateside for US sales.

1972- 17,734 were shipped Stateside for US sales.

Any problems MG let me know and shoot me your VIN # and I will get it done for you at the local GM dealer that did mine here and we can settle up later....

Darren.

I had ordered (free from 1-800-222-1020) the package for mine back on 1/9/07 hoping to get actual information on my car.

It ended up being more general information and specifications.

The first booklet had (per the headings); sales brochure pictures (b/w copies), Monte Carlo color and trim, Monte Carlo power teams, Monte Carlo exterior features, Monte Carlo interior features, Monte Carlo specifications (dimensions, weight, etc), Model Identification, Serial Numbers and Identification, Exterior Equipment, Interior Equipment, Extra Cost Equipment, and Air Conditioning Equipment. Basically a lot of RPO numbers, technical specs, even a "how the car was painted" section.

The second booklet has (per the table of contents); Extended Storage Guide, Overview of GM Restoration Parts Licensing Program, GM Restoration Parts Liscensees, Cowl Tag Guide Ordering, GM Restoration Parts Reference Guide Ordering, Past Model Parts Suppliers (Leo was not listed), Automotive Publications, Automobile Clubs and Museums (FGMCC was not listed), and sanctioning bodies.

All in all, a lot of neat information. But, for the most part, nothing you couldn't find on our site.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

Darren, thanks for taking the time to detail all the contact info, that's great, I will definetly give those numbers a try.

Dennis, thanks for outlining what was in your package, that's good to know. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the current $50 price offers something more specific.

Either way, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow-up, I received my package a few days ago. Here is what the $57.75 got me.

The package I received from GM Canada was composed of two parts. The first specifically applicable to my car and the second general Monte spec info.

Part I: A three page letter on GM letterhead signed by Vintage Vehicle Services with the following details specifically focused on my car:

- trim, paint, top (colours)

- production plant

- exact production date

- exact shipping date

- model number

- engine type

- engine serial number

- Dealer name and city

- Total Number of Montes produced at the GM Oshawa plant for sale in Canada

- Number of Montes with A/C (like mine) produced by the plant

- List of 23 specific options applicable to my car including some interesting ones I did not know about such as AM radio, white stripe tires and rally wheels.

Part II: 56 page package with general 1972 Monte info including sales brochure type related feature descriptions, serial numbers and identification explanations, list of standard exterior and interior equipment, list of extra cost equipment. Monte Dimension and weights, Body exterior paint process, exterior-interior colours, chassis specs (frame and front suspension, rear axle and suspension, bulbs and lamps, fuses and circuit breakers), power trains specs (power team combinations, power team multiplication factors, engine data and ratings, engine speed and piston travel, vehicle performance factors, principal components, fuel system, exhaust and ventilation system, lubrication system, cooling system, electrical system, clutches, three and four speed transmissions, powerglide transmission, turbo hydramatic transmission)

The best features of the package are some key details about my car such as the exact production and shipping dates, original dealer and the interesting options I did not know my car originally had. I Googled the dealership and found out it still is in business. I hope to make a pilgrimage there some time in the future for a photo. I’m thinking maybe on the exact 40th anniversary of its shipping date, next year.

Personnaly, in the absence of a build sheet, I think the cost of the package was worth it as I am a bit of a history buff when it comes to this car. When I first removed the interior, I found and kept little traces of its history including a couple of old receipts from the 1970s, a Free pass for drive in movie expiring 30 Dec 1972, and a 1974 credit card gas receipt signed by the original owner for 10.2 Gallons.

Hopefully this helps someone decide whether they want to order the package or not.