ideas for a 383 stroker motor

BigBlockMonte

hey all, i just bought a 71 chevelle ss. im thinking of keeping it a small block car. thought about doing a 383 stroker w/a 4 speed.

I want it to be very strong. 500 range.

any ideas on combinations that will yield that kind of hp? i'm picking up a 73 350 block this weekend, let me know how I can achieve this.

thanks again

Mariano,

Here is my current combo. Don't think it is 500 hp but does pretty good for a prem pump gas n/a motor;

GM seasoned 010 two bolt main block (ARP studs) that was zero decked that was bored .040 over

Eagle 4340 crank

Eagle I beam rods

Speed Pro Hyperutectic pistons with a 13cc dish

Cylinder heads are an old set of Pro Topline Lightning(before RHS bought them out) cast iron 200 cc intake runners with 64 cc combustion chambers with the mild clean up to avoid detonation. 2.02 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust. Comp magnum roller tip rockers 1.6 in and 1.5 exhaust

Can't remember the head gasket thickness but static c/r is 10.25:1 and runs on pump gas.

The cam is a custom grind from Cammotion. Hydro Flat tappet I'm not sure of the exact lift/duration numbers but I think it was .512 on the in duration was around 235 at .050. Exhaust is around .490 something with duration around 240 something at .050.LSA angle is 111.5

The intake is an Edelbrock RPM Airgap topped with a Prosystems 780 cfm mechanical secondary carb. Exhaust are hooker 2451's and Flowmaster 2.5" American thunder system.

David

how are the street manners with that engine. The car is an auto as we speak, bu tI have a line on a muncie m21 for it.

450+ for a 383 stroker I feel would be perfect. My machine shop tells me, that to get that kind of power out of it, I won't like it, It won't have street manners, and will have to be pretty radical.

They are advising me to go with a Big Block. They saying it would make that power no sweat, and won't have to be radical to do it.

BB sounds nice, I just came from one. I would have to change a few things to make it work, headers, springs, not to mention the added price on BB parts compared to SB parts.

I thought I knew what I wanted, Now I'm torn betweeen BB or SB.

I like the simplicity of doing a SB. But if 450+ hp for a SB won't be fun to drive everyday, be stuck in traffic, long cruises etc. Then I suppose a BB would be in order.

So it's a toss up between a 383 Stroker, or a 496 Stroker.

Guys help me out, before I pull out all my hair, I don't have much to pull.

I want a very strong, reliable engine, that can be driven everyday, in traffic, on the highway, no issues, I'm only doing this once, unless of course it blows up, but the plan is to do it this one time and be done.

Please Help.....

Thanks

The engine is very streetable. Idles fine @ 800 rpm in gear and 900 in park. Pulls enough vacuum to work the power brakes.

I've done Hot Rod Mags Drag Week three years in a row and the car gets driven 1000 miles in one week and raced at 4 different tracks. Routes included stop and go traffic, road construction, street cruising and interstate driving (3.73 with a TH350 @ 70+ mph at 3500 rpm). LOL!!!

This engine has been in the Monte for 5 trouble free years and trust me at the track it gets hammered on.

Yep it would be way easier to make your goal with a big block but I guess I'm just hard headed. I have this engine sold and am in the process of having.......yes another s/b project completed. This one is gonna have a little more bite to it though.

Hope some of this helps.

David

Mariano if you want to run a M21 Muncie I think you should stay with the 383. First making 450hp is not that big of a stretch. A ZZ383 from GM is rated at 425 so all it would need is the cam upgrade kit and you're there. Second a 496 is going to make a lot of torque, even a mild one, dropping the hammer with that is not going to be Muncie friendly.

If you had a M22 it would work better but they are big bucks. Personaly I think driving a quick reving small block with a 4 speed is more fun. JMO..Dave

My 355 is pushing around 450Hp and is totally streetable w/a 3000 stall and 355 gears..Highway cruising and track time ....no issues...My 2 pennies,....PS, Dave I totally agree, sometimes I wish my car was a stick! Al

My first 70 I built a 383 with 500 HP and it was fine on the street. I mean it was loud and gas mileage was god awful, but I never once thought that it was too "bad mannered". And man that thing could spin. It would throw the belts when it went over 10k lol

wow 10k. I never even took my import that high. Thats amazing. I'm thinking about doin the 383. I just got a (free) 85ish 350 complete engine out of a 3/4 ton truck. not sure if its 2 or 4 bolt main. I'll be tearing into this weekend.

I love the idea of having a big block, and it seems that everyone who sees the car its always the same line. (hey guy really nice car, whats it got in it, 396? 454? I reply 350, then they say oh and walk away. Anyway, just goin through basic pricing, the BB will be around 5k or so. SB alot less. So I'm thinking the 383 will have to work. I suppose if the 383 doesn't do the trick, then later in life, i'll do the BB. but from what i read the 383 stroker will do 500hp, and have good street manners, so like i said i'm really leaning towards the 383.

I'll be making up my mind totally by next week. money will be here, and I'll be ready to go.

oh one more thing. another buddy suggested instead of doing a 496 stroker. to do a 454 stock bottom end, balanced, do forged pistons, aluminum heads, 600+ lift camshaft, and let her fly, it would be cheaper without the rotating assembly. so as always your opinions are welcome. thanks everyone