Shifting trouble!!!

ThirdMC

O.K.,

Before I have someone tear into the tranny thought I'd ask here. Former owner put a Jegs convertor and TCI shift kit in. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60400/10002/-1 http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/326200/10002/-1

The car shifts really soft and seems to shift a little too early. He also never hooked up the tranny kickdown linkage. Any ideas on what I should check?

Some higher stall converters make the shifts seem soft until you are on it and above the stall

I have that happen sometimes as well. I dont have a high stall converter but when I shift around town under 1000 rpm I barely feel it but when the go pedal is pushed I can usually squawk the tire from first to second. laugh

The kickdown linkage will regulate shifting also. Between the information the trans gets from the position of the throttle (kickdown linkage) and the load on the engine (vacuum modulator), the transmission does its best to shift at the right times. If the trans thinks you are accelerating slowly it will shift early and soft.

An adjustable modulator can help. You can dial them in to delay and firm your part-throttle shift points. First I'd make sure your stock parts are hooked up and working, then go from there.

mike you got that backwards.. a disconnected vacuum modulator will produce late hard shifts.

if it's shifting early and soft, i'd take a look at the govenor in the side of the case, and remove the vac. mod and put a vacuum pump on it and see if it's moving correctly. (no more than 15 inches or you'll rupture it)

it is generally a good idea to keep the TH350's kickdown cable hooked up.. it uses that to control shift firmness too smile

Tim, when my vacuum mudulator was disconnected it was shifting way to early. I could put the pedal to the floor and I'd be in third by 30 mph. Perhaps I am an exception to the rule? Just personal experience. And the shifts were soft.

Also isn't the kickdown cable end slotted? It shouldn't be engaged until you push the pedal far enough right?

Usually if the modulator is unhooked it sees zero vacuum...the same conditions you get when the throttle is wide open. When the modulator thinks you are wide open, it delays the shifts.

There must be a connection with the position of the kickdown linkage...maybe it needs to be pulled all the way out to also signify wide-open throttle and get the normal delay in shifting?

Anyway, it sounds as if the two work together to control the shift points. The kickdown does have a slotted end...and a correct bracket that bolts to the manifold or carb feet. The slot is there to prevent downshifts unless enough throttle is applied.

Got everything done on the car now except the kickdown cable. I know it hooks onto an 'S' in the tranny but no matter how hard I pull I cant get it to pull out far enough to unhook it. Can't even see the 'S'. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to drop the pan in order to unhook it?

it's not really an S.. it's more of a stretched out 'z' smile

sorta like this..

__|--

does the cable itself pull out and spring back? if not, it's possible your 'kick down valve' in the trans is stuck which would explain the early shifts...

also, it only comes out to about the top of the case.. doing it in the car will not be easy!