How's this combo, Will it make over 500hp

BigBlockMonte

Hey all

I got a line on the engine combo. I'm not good with combos, so I'm asking here if you feel this combo will produce over 500 hp, and enough to propel the car to a low low 12sec 1/4 mile.

71 chevelle, 3600 lbs witout me in it. Car is a SB right now. I'm approx 160ish. So say 3800lbs plus the extra weight of the BB.

Mario,

Here are the engine specs...

Fresh 468 BBC short block, ’70 dated -512 ARP studded 2 bolt casting with a balanced assembly which includes a cast GM crank, rebuilt (thumb print) GM rods, and a set of TRW 2399 + .060” 13.8cc forged pistons.

All assembled using King bearings and Perfect Circle rings.

The block does have one sleeve (#8) and has been pressure tested OK.

Fresh pair of ’74 dated -781 GM casting oval port heads, completely redone with new 2.19”/1.88” stainless valves, hardened seats, Comp Cam 924 springs, ARP head bolts. .

GMPP oval port, square flange aluminum intake

fresh Holley 750 double pumper carb.

Comp Cam Thumpr flat tappet cam and Comp lifters

Cam specs are 279/296; 227/241 @ .050”; .498/.483”; LSA 107 with ICL of 102

New Comp timing set and Comp Magnum 1.7 ratio rockers

Milodon 6qt kickout oil pan with Mellings HV pump and matching Milodon pickup.

Stock harmonic balancer, timing cover, 14” flywheel OR a 14” flexplate.

Chrome valve covers. Mallory HEI distributor

This short block is zero decked.

The CR is approx 10.2 and will run fine on pump premium gas.

I figure about 500-520 HP with gobs of TQ...I'd guess 575 ft/lbs.

This engine is in the shop right now being checked out a assembled. I'll pick it up either Friday or next Monday.

Do a search on my Team Chevelle screen name...I've been around there for quite some time and know most of those guys personally. I've built some killer cars and engine combos and my projects have been published in numerous magazines.

Carb to pan; flex plate to waterpump...I'll sell this engine for $3500 plus shipping.

Where are you located? Figure shipping will cost around $250 to the closest truck terminal.

Let me know what you decide...

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll be waiting for your responses

this is the cam listed in the specs.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=416&sb=2

here's the ones I was looking at. Which is the best suited for 500hp and to get this thing really moving?

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=485&sb=2

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.co...=MARKIVCAMHFTXE

500-520??

I might start a war with this one but here goes...

I washed those numbers through Cam Quest 6 software from Comp Cams and i think 430-450 HP would be a more accurate number, that's running the most radical Hydraulic cam I could find from Comp Cam and those style heads, which this cam he's using is not even close to.

*** S*!*T!! CORRECTION....I'm Sorry, I screwed up the valve sizes when I ran the numbers, I stand corrected, that set up according to Cam Quest 6 comes in right around 500HP and FWIW Your HP will jump quite a bit going with the hydraulic roller in your link in the area of 550 or so....

I'm not going to throw bricks here, but My 496 with full porting / polishing on LS6 rectangular heads, 18 CC domed pistons, a larger lift cam than listed above, 10.5:1 CR, and a larger 870 CFM carb is only coming in around 540-550 according to Comp Cams HP Calculator Software and some of us here think that software leans on the 'generous' side.

I'd also be concerned about a sleeved cylinder, but maybe I'm too picky about stuff like that, obviously the technique works or it wouldn't be used, but it seems to be asking for trouble on a engine that you may be running hard.

3200 Dollars, for what it's worth, you get what you pay for when it comes to engines, and 500 HP for 3200 is a bit on the low side if you ask me.

sorry for the opinions...you know the drill, but there is mine.

The good news is.... if your weight estimate is right, you'll only need about 440 HP at the fly wheel to run a 12 flat. grin

Cool, i just got off the phone with comp cams, and they recommend the xe274H camshaft. It's this one here.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=396&sb=2

the roller cam comp says will require some work to make it work. the flat tappet is easiest.

So the thumpr cam will produce 500hp as well. If that's the case I like that being I don't have to spend any additional money on a converter, but check out the other cam (xe274h), if you feel this one will produce well over 500hp, then I will go with that one. thanks for your reply, keep them coming

The thumpr based on what I am seeing in Cam Quest will come in at 491 HP/ 525 FtLbs

The XE comes in at 514 HP / 550 Ftlbs...

Remember there are a lot of variables here, I told the software you have the Hi Perf Heads with full port / polish Large tube headers and duals, etc. So what I am seeing may be lower or higher than what you will actually wind up with.

Your best bet is to download that Cam Quest software from Comp cams; its free. And you can tinker around with your combos, it's very easy to use.

The XE is going to want a higher stall than the Thumpr.

Are you running the same 2500 stall in your signature on this set up? If so that XE is going to be right on the edge of that, and you, (I would guess) probably be better off going a little higher on the stall....

That link Mike57 posted,works for me and I'm in Kuwait, try to close your browser window and then try the link, if that doesn't work close your browser again, click on:

start> run> type CMD and press enter

from the command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns

Re-open your browser and try again.

this is what I get everytime. I give my info, then it says click here to download. I click on it and walla. I get this every single time.

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

•Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.

•If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.

•Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

•Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.

•Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

funny, he just made the following post over there saying he was going to build the motor for himself...He's been there from day one (2000) but doesn't talk much about motors. The king of the econo 454's over there is VortecPro (Mark Jones)..

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326801

Dave

yeah he showed me that post. I just questioned him about his statement about the thumpr cam. In an email he stated it would be fine, but just doin some general reading, He really didn't feel it would be a good cam to run with the 10:2 compression. He states he has a magnum 292h cam he could throw in instead, I just wanna be happy with my choice, I really want this engine to throw me back and keep a smile on my face for years to come.

I was looking at the comp cams xe274 camshaft. Not sure if that's any better for power or worse.

This sucks I'm so confused and still on the fence. This is suppose to be fun not stressful.

no you're right Mario, it's not supposed to be stressful but sometimes it just is when you're contemplating a big putchase. I agree with him about the Thumpr cam, they're made on a tight LSA with a short exhaust lift to get the lopey sound a lot of guys want, not the best performance cam.

I'm personally not a big fan of Comp cams but that's just me, the 274 would be a better cam than the Thumpr though. That combination could possibly make 500hp if it was build extremely well but I would be concerned about a sleeved block. Yes you can sleeve a block with success but why risk it when there are so many good blocks out there.

Are you a member over there? I would PM Mark (VortecPro) and get an estimate from him. He's a builder out of Colorado Springs and builds a lot of the type of motor you're looking for. He posts his dyno sheets and a lot of guys run his motors, it could reduce your stress considerably...Dave

okay, i just sent him a bible pretty much of what I want and how much money I have. Personally I think it's impossible to build a 550+hp BB for under 4K.

I guess I want to much. Well we'll see if he responds and what he has to say.

The important thing is that a guy with experience can spend your money where it does the most good. You hear about all kinds of great parts and of course you want them all, but the guy with experience can weed out the stuff you don't really need right now and set you up with a strong combo that you can add to later.

okay, i just sent him a bible pretty much of what I want and how much money I have. Personally I think it's impossible to build a 550+hp BB for under 4K.

I guess I want to much. Well we'll see if he responds and what he has to say.

it's not impossible Mario just need the right guy to do it...Let's see what Mark says..tell him Crazy Davey sent you....