Engine Temperature?

ThirdMC

Temp on my motor stays around 210. Is this within the normal range? Car has a BeCool radiator, measures about 25" x 19". Jegs 16" electric fan that kicks on at 185, off at 170. Whoever installed it didn't hook the fan to a switched hot so it comes on and stays on until the motor cools down, even after the car is turned off.

Still trying to get the bugs worked out of the car since it was like this when I bought it.

210 is just fine. it's a 'tad' to the warm side.. but is still plenty normal.. if you can tweak the cooling system to bring it down a bit more to say 190 or even a bit lower then that, you will do well.

the high temp won't hurt the engine, but it can cause some other issues that can..

I would think the BeCool and the fan would keep it cooler.

When you say the fan stays on even after the car is off till it cools down how long are you talking...if it stays on roughly for around 2 minutes that is not out of the normal, that's about how long my fans stay on if they happen to be running when I shut the car off.

Having the fans run on after you shut down isn't a bad feature. The temperature spikes as soon as the water stops circulating when the engine stops. Having the fan run keeps the coolant from boiling over and onto the ground.

The only concern is it's draining the battery while it's doing it.

502...fan stays on probably 15 minutes. It keeps running until the temp gauge gets around 160 or so, until it reaches the off temp for the fan. So far no issues with battery drain.

Way too long, I'm not sure what your fan draws but it will absolutely kill your battery over time, definately try and figure out a fix for that.

15 minutes? No...that's too long. It sounds like maybe they have the fan thermostat plumbed into the engine block. It would take forever to cool down the entire engine when there isn't even any water circulating! There's really no point in having the fan run while that happens.

The fan thermostat should be in the radiator.

I like having my temp probe in the radiator, that way when the thermostat opens, the probe heats up and the fan kicks on. Otherwise, you may be having the fan on, but the stat never opening and you just really cool down the radiator water.

Also, having the sensor in the head will usually show 10-15 degrees cooler from what people on the forum have said too, so you're probably ok there.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas on how I can 'tweak' it to bring the temp down a little? Also, how can I go about moving the temperature probe from the head to the radiator? Still staying around 205-210, 220 when idling in traffic at a red light.

That's also with the a/c not hooked up. Worried that when I get the a/c going the temp will get worse.

I use a radiator probe thermostatic switch like this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16769/

der-16769_w.jpg

I use the switch to turn on a relay which is where my fan gets its power from. The switch is adjustable too which is nice, that way you can tailor it to whatever thermostat you run.