The 505 build

Andy's Auto

Just wanted to share what I have been doing in my spare time.

Doinf a 505. That would be a .100 over 454. A nice blowed up seasoned core. I had #6 sleeved and the black came out really nice. Nothing exotic, just a bullit with a heart.

After thoroughly washing the block, I slapped the Eagle forged 4.25 stroker crank in it.

This will be an ongoing build.

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

Got the pistons on the rods, file fit the rings. I went nitrous on the gaps. .015 on the oil controls, .028 on my top ring and .022 on the send ring. That should compensate for piston expansion when I hit the "passing you" switch.

IMG_4508.jpg

outstanding job of removing the paint. 4 bolts is good so 2 stages will be a nice upgrade. I know you've got all the horsepower stuff handled so what's your chassis setup going to be?? All the kids with ladderbars and air shocks are waiting around the corner gunning for the red rocket. Spray it aluminum and tell them it's a wounded ZL with a cracked #6....Z. Duntov

outstanding job of removing the paint. 4 bolts is good so 2 stages will be a nice upgrade. I know you've got all the horsepower stuff handled so what's your chassis setup going to be?? All the kids with ladderbars and air shocks are waiting around the corner gunning for the red rocket. Spray it aluminum and tell them it's a wounded ZL with a cracked #6....Z. Duntov

I like the aluminum idea. grin Chassis will be an exercise in KISS. I have a set of Metco adjustable uppers and billit lowers with poly bushings. A set of Moroso drag shocks with a set of 90/10s in the front. Gonna drop that pinion angle to 5 degrees and let it go. I have an air bag for the right rear spring. If I can keep the nose down and the front tires on the ground it should go really fast. The rear end setup is almost identical to what Bu runs.

Front suspension is gonna be what the General gave me. One of the coolet parts of the 68 is it came void of power steering, a/c, or power brakes. Nothing to remove.

Rims are an old set of Centerline Auto drags. 8s in the rear, 3.5s up front. 185/R15 bug tires up front with 26x10.5's Drag Radials out back. If I can launch Bu on them, it should work on that Red Chevelle.

Andy

Crank bolted in tight. Went 105 on the inner main caps and 95 on the outers.

IMG_4512.jpg

Pistons and rods are in. File fit Brazilian Mahles.

IMG_4513.jpg

And the brains of the whole operation. A nice big solid roller.

IMG_4514.jpg

And a pretty much done short block. It still needs the pump, pan, and timing cover, but you get the idea where this is going.

IMG_4515.jpg

Gotta love those grain truck motors! Actually a buddy has a grain truck that looks a lot like that one but with a dump bed, It has a big bruising 327 small block.

Build looks real good Andy!

Rumor has it all the cool guys run smallblocks, it looks just like what we had in the grain trucks back on the farm. That big engine should really lift the box like crazy....haha

this is so true..I see them throwing beer bottles at me in my rear view mirror all the time... grin

Originally Posted By: Winston Wolf
Rumor has it all the cool guys run smallblocks, it looks just like what we had in the grain trucks back on the farm. That big engine should really lift the box like crazy....haha

this is so true..I see them throwing beer bottles at me in my rear view mirror all the time... grin

Yeah I am uncool the lumbering ol truck motor takes a long time to light the shift light at 6600. Maybe I need to drag that 400 out of the corner and get started on that. Maybe get some rogain and I would be real cool! shock Or may just get some better heads and get the truck motor into the 10s lol

I like it !

what cc's are those knots on your pistons confused

Evidently too much. Did not pass the piston to valve clearence test. Must Kill!!

I talked to the guy I got the engine from and the cam out of, and he misread the card. The cam is a .788 lift Pro Stock territory type cam. I am literally five yards from clearing those intake valves. I just ordered up a .675 lift 260 degree duration thumper. Got to wait until next week.

I'm gonna take an educated guess and say in the neighborhood of 13:1 or more static compression eek and cool

Sam, you are close. With the 112 cc head, the .039 head gasket, and the .380 dome piston, it comes out to 12.76 static compression. I should be able to run the thing on 112 Cam2, at $8 a gallon, which certainly beats 116 Cam2 at $13 a gallon. I am tossing the street car thing at gonna run open headers and slicks. I went 4.10 today on the gear as the tires are 28x12.5s.

I guess I will start on the 402 and the other 496 tomorrow while I wait for the new cam to show. Got it from Summit so I should have it by Weds. Or I can get the heads off the 71 and get those Merlins and nasty Crower cam kit in. Anyone need a nice set of 049's?

Andy