Canadian emissions

Guest fidodw

Guest fidodw

We here in Canada are now having to put up with emissions police. They dress like cops, have cop cars and give you a ticket on the spot if emissions are not up to snuff. Now here is the good part,each piece missing or not hooked up costs us $365.00....THAT'S each item. No, bring it to us later or get it fixed and we will let you off. Here is your ticket and it is up to the owner of the car to produce proof of proper emissions. These guys are arrogant and are more than happy to fine all. Anyhow,my rant is over for now. What I need to know right now is what I should have on my Canadian car. My car started out with a 165 HP 350 and now houses a 496 BB. I have a closed breather,a charcoal canister, a PCV valve, the vent that comes from breather to valve cover. I am not sure if I need an air pump. I know the 350 did not come with an air pump but I am not sure about the big block in the Canadian car. Any help or advice would be valuable to me. Thanks in advance...Dave Parish.

Hi in B.C, Canada we have those guys too, o wait thats the village people.... laugh

kidding aside we have emissions police as well, and we also have Air Care centers to get tested at, from what i have been told due to the fact that emissions really only came into effect in Canada in 1973, therefore i was told by the Air Police that we do not have to comply.

This was from a air care cop, check with your local band....

to confirm, also not to mention that i cars were originally built to run on Leaded fuel which has been outlawed in Canada for many many years.

Bill

i'm not sure about Canada.. but in the U.S the FGMC's are basicly excempt because they were built before 1973.

Texas inspections only require that they meet requirements for the year of manufacture.. so I only have to pass an Idle sniffer test with '72 standards.. (Shouldn't be too hard)

It depends on the year you have. My 70 has very few vaccuum lines, no air pump and no charcoal canister.

There was nothing specific for Canada to my knowledge.

I think the air pump was only needed on Calfornia cars in 72. My 72 350 4-barrell had one and was originally shipped to a California dealer.

In Vancouver BC it only matters what comes out the tail pipe. As far as emissions are concerned. If you want the classic insurance (cheap fantastic deal 300 per year) then your car has to have everything it came with. and has to be stock or period correct add ons I cant see how they can give you a ticket if your emissions are with in the emissions limit of the year of vehicle. I can tell you I owned a 72 with a big block and it had the air pump on it and that was in Calgary Alberta. I hope you can get it worked out that's a bummer Man. Jjs