Horrible noise.....

Monte72Carlo

I was driving my car yesterday (fairly hard I must add). I know you probably wouldn't be able to come up with a diagnosis by me just explaining it but you may be able to point me in the general direction and whether or not it's serious. Anyways, it sounds kinda like a knock but not really a deep knock like a rod would make. It only happens when it's been driven for at least 10 minutes (it may be fully warm by then). It happens under low RPM and might happen under higher RPM but the exhaust is just too loud to hear over. It is most distinguishable under high idle. It sounds as if the pistons are coming in contact with the head or a valve perhaps? I can hear it on both sides of the engine and at the collectors. Or could it just be a valve lash problem? It has hydraulic lifters that I set myself (there is absolutely no way it could be a lifter problem, just throwing it out there). It doesn't really sound like the chatter of lifters. I really have no idea what it could be. All oils are sufficient, pressure is good. It defiantly sounds like an internal engine problem frown

Thanks,

Garrett.

if it's more of a light tapping, you may have chewed up a cam lobe and got a lifter tapping away. I'd suggest you start by re-lashing the valves and see if it goes away.

ditto Converter bolts was my first guess too.

Often times converter bolts will make noise at light loads, and tend to quiet when going uphill or under heavy loads.

Like Andy said, determining what it ISN'T will lead you to what it is.

sounds similar to my problem since I've finally got the car running. I have asked around locally and they're saying that my oil may be to thin, it needs changed anyways so... yeah.... I'll double check torque converter bolts and.... yeah I'll pull the valve covers as well...

Well turns out all of my push rods are bent in some way, some worse than others. Is this normal? Must have really over reved her eek

Garrett the lifters will usually give up before it bends pushrods....did you re-adjust the valves after you fired it up the first time? Sounds like things might have been too tight to me.. Dave

Yea, It seems kind of odd to me as well. I had it up to 6500 a few times but not that many really. My engine builder set the valves with me before the engine went in the car, from what I know they don't need to be adjusted once it has been broken in. I do however have a much higher spring pressure and a large cam for stock push rods, maybe that's the issue? Anyways, new moly push rods on the way tomorrow and I can try my hand at setting valves....

I sure hope there are no other problems

Thanks,

Garrett.

valves are pretty easy.. do 'em like the book says.

I prefer to go back after the engine has been warmed up, and re-set them with the engine running. in my own personal experience, I've had much better luck getting them 'correct' that way.

I've wiped out 3 valve trains trying to set them cold with the engine off.. somehow I managed to get it right on this engine... after I over rev'd it to 7200 it was acting funny.. took it home.. re-lashed the valves with it running, and it's been purring like a kitten since (also added a 6000 rpm rev limiter)

I took an old chrome valve cover and cut the center out so I can get to the rocker nuts w/o it spraying oil EVERYHWERE.. :>