Torque Converter Shake?

BuffaloBillPatri

Flexplate & all bolts are new, not cracked or loose.

I had trouble getting the T/C snout to slip into the crank evenly, could be that it's still causing the shake.

I'm going to re-clock the T/C 120* & retry it.

I hope the TH400 front pump is not bad, as it's well beyond the B&M warranty.

The B&M Holeshot 3000 has a lifetime warranty, but would they honor it after 15 years?

I drove the car about 5 miles & T/C & transmission seemed to operate properly, except for the shake.

BBP

I just re-clocked it, no help.

I lubed up the snout with WD40, seems to move easy into crank.

Car is up on stands & I can rev motor.

With it bolted up it shakes worst as I increase RPM

I can feel it in floorboards & seat.

It is either the T/C or the TH400

With it unbolted it's smooth.

BBP

Bill how long have you had the trans and converter? How many miles are on them? It sounds like you have had them for quite a while but never ran them. If I recall correctly there is not a lot moving in the trans while in park and the pump is not really that big in diameter or weigh that much to cause a vibration. I would point to the converter as the cause.

bill: are you doing the bolts up tight one at a time?

you need to do them up evenly.. spin them in snug with your fingers.. spin the crank over a couple of times, then snug them down.. I had the same problem with my TH350 once when I didn't do this.. and I wiped out my front pump from it.

I've had the parts about 15 years.

This Summer I finally got it started.

About 5 miles driven so far.

This last attempt I tried easing the nuts a bit at a time, I will take it slower next try.

Tomorrow I will clock it another 120* and balance the 3 bolt/nut/lockwasher units together on my digital grain scale.

BBP

I think it's good now, much less vibration at least. Maybe normal now.

I checked bolt/nut/lock washer balance, all 3 sets were 448 grains.

I clocked it another 120* & slowly tightened the nuts as I rotated the crank, about 5 revolutions.

Thanks a bunch Tim (Kc8oye)

BBP

np bill.. if you get that tc even a hair off center...

i did my torque converter one one bolt completely tight at a time, and it warped the heck outta the flex plate.. and hammered the tc back and forth until it took my front pump out. (this is what finally pushed me into the 700r4 swap)

One other thing that you may have solved by turning it, I have had TCs with and without drain plugs, and on one of them it stuck out the back of the TC so that it would only bolt up flush in one position. I also bent my flywheel and had it off ballance like this. Any chance of that?

Hopefully you have it all under control now regardless!

Time will tell if it's going to hold up? I won't drive it in the cold weather though, summer tires etc.

I haven't had it above 4000RPM yet.

I wonder how much this 10" B&M Holeshot 3000 will slip at 3250RPM, my calculated at 75mph? I have read numbers around 10%

The Coan 10" 20310 is suppose to be around 6%

I run the ATF through an engine type remote oil filter, then the radiator, then a cooler that's in front of the passenger side of the main radiator.

Thanks again, BBP