Help with friend's 350/ 700r4

LuckyKenny

It's this truck

155069_105919379479572_100001845315072_5

It literally takes 10 miles to warm up, it makes this strange click noise when he puts it into gear, and when it goes into overdrive it hums like a mad man.

Oh and when it coasts before braking it jolts like it's being thrown into reverse.

My friend has worse re sources than i do so i'll most likely be helping him.

I think it cold be the torque converter?

But hey, what do i know lol

one way to really give us an example would be to get a small vid or sound clip. I know you do that well so you could use your talents to your advantage and let us see/hear what you're talking about :P (keeps the windows rolled up too... hard to hear engine/tranny noises when wind hits a Mic)

I actually have a friend with a truck just like that, but his is black lol he's got a turbo 350... but your friend has a 700r4... so basically a TH350 with overdrive :P (I've been trying to learn more about transmissions lately... stupid leaky tranny! lol)

I'm trying. I've been doing a LOT of reading on them. as for rebuilding them... haha I doubt I can do that any time soon lol

Anyways I'm heading to bed, get that sound clip/vid up sometime soon and I'm sure most of us will try our best to help smile I'll even ask a few outside sources (my parts guy lol)

as for rebuilding them... haha I doubt I can do that any time soon lol

)

Actually it is easier than you might think. All you need are the proper tools, a CLEAN work area and a really good book to guide you. Rebuilding a transmission goes quicker than doing an engine. I think a lot of people are afraid to attempt a transmission rebuild, I know I was, but it is really pretty simple.

a 700r4 is not a rebuild for an amateur!!! a TH350, Th400 sure.. but a 700 is a beast with a bazillion small parts and very picky tolerances.

you are better off to pay someone to rebuild a 700r4 if you've never been inside an automatic trans before.

I thought you were supposed to help your friend due to his limited resources?

If you decide to tackle the job, become a wizard, unlock the secrets of the big scary electronic transmission or whatever make sure you have a GOOD BOOK on them. Here is a DVD that is pretty darn detailed and easy to understand. http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/site/573683/product/12700R4

Takes all the wizardry and guesswork out of the job. If you want a real eye-opener, go down to your local transmission shop and talk to the techs for an hour. Suffice it to say it really doesn't take an MBA to overhaul a transmission. Lots of people are afraid to break into a transmission but will overhaul an engine without batting an eye. I stand by my statement that it is actually easier whether or not it is a 700r4 or even a front wheel drive model. The big secret is to make sure when you are removing parts from the case to place them in order of removal so you can reassemble it in reverse order. you would be surprised how simple this makes the job or how complex it gets if you don't. Whatever you and your friend decide, good luck. For what it's worth I don't think a converter replacement will cure what symptoms you described.

i've rebuilt 350's and 700's in the benefit of a classroom setting with a teacher and the correct tools.. I stil say a 700r4 is not a good trans to learn on. Do a 350 first.. get a feel for the basics.. then tackle the more complicated 700. it only takes a human hair to jam up a valve in a 700r4 and smoke the whole thing.

th350's can run with a pound of sand in the valve bodies they don't care lol.