1970 Air Cleaner small hose connections

cpmman

There are two small hoses coming out from the bottom of the air cleaner. One connects to the front of the air cleaner for the valve actuation however not sure where the other goes??

I believe either somewhere on the carburtaror or to the TCS solenoid.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Rick

i think it does actually go to manifold vac, as that is what pulls it shut to draw in heated air.. then as the incoming air warms up, there is a 'sensor' in side the air cleaner that stops the vacuum from actuating the door.

then when you go to WOT and the manifold vac drops away, the door will naturally open up and allow the cold air in, if you haven't noticed, that heater pipe is awful small....

i remember my astro van used to have a hard time breathing because of this.. we replaced it's check valve with a calibrated bleed smile so that when burried your foot in it.. it would allow the door to open.. might not have met emissions that way..but it sure improved power!

On my 71 350 4BBL, there is a small vacuum hose that attaches to the passenger side of the carburetor as shown in these pictures. This hose then goes to the temperature sensing mechanism inside the air cleaner, that allows vacuum to flow when the incoming air temperature is below ? (don't remember~ 115 F.?) A hose coming out of that sensor then goes to the vacuum diaphragm on the snorkel of the air cleaner, and activates a door that diverts warmed air from the exhaust manifold heat shield / stove pipe. (See pictures) Note that I added an extra snorkel back in 1971 for more air flow.

71 350 4 BBL air cleaner pics

On my 71 350 4BBL, there is a small vacuum hose that attaches to the passenger side of the carburetor as shown in these pictures.

Bruce, I see your vaccuum advance line is hooked up to the front of the carb. I have had this feeliing mine is hooked up backwards (air cleaner to front of carb, vaccum advance to pass side of carb) for some time now. I guess there's not too much harm but I'll try it like yours and see how it works.