BBC AC/Header Bracket??

Mike Brichta

Does anyone know where I can get a bracket to support the rear of the AC compressor on a BB engine with headers? I see that Hooker makes them for small blocks but I didn't see one for Big Block engines. I haven't tried it yet but I am assuming the the GM stock bracket will not work with headers.

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike, you might have to grind the header a little, but those two tits on the left front head are the 3/8 holes for the bracket. The bracket does not bolt to the headers per se.

And if you need one, I have plenty.

Andy

Even though I used the factory exhaust manifolds on mine,I had to grind that bottom cast A/C brkt on the back side a little for I think was another one of those head bolts.

Terry

Thanks for the info/suggestions. I will have to check my original stock bracket tonight and see if I can make it work. On the small block engines I would just order an AC/header bracket and was all set to go. Maybe that's why I can't find one for a big block. Thanks!!

Mike

As i remember, there is quite a conflict of space there with that bracket. The bracket has its own bolts, but it's positioned very close to the stock manifold...the two pieces kinda nestle together. The header flanges are much wider at that point than the iron manifolds and won't let the bracket drop down close enough to the port to get the bolts in.

I remember some severe grinding of the lower part of the bracket, but don't remember if I had to modify the header flange as well. I can tell you it CAN be made to work.