aluminum heads with solid roller cam

71monteme

this question is for you guys running aluminum heads and solid roller cam. my cam spec a .030 valve lash hot. i did it cold to get the engine running. on the iron heads the valve lash cold and hot were only a few thousands different. so i usally set them at .028 and forget about them, how much of a different does aluminum makes and which way does it go- make the lash tighter or looser.

thanks.

thanh

My heads seem to be about .006 tight when cold. I also noticed a long time ago that cast iron were a little loose when cold just about .0015 to .002 probably the difference between the cast iron and steel pushrod and lifter expansion rate.

well, did the hot lash on the motor at 30. let engine cooled overnight and remeasure lash. it was at 25-26 so the crane cam page was pretty close. i run aluminum comp roller rockers for reference, hope some one can use this info.

thanh

If you're using a computer program to evaluate your combo, don't forget to subtract that .030 from your valve lift specs.

I always set the lash on a solid roller cam to the spec on the cam card your cam manufacture supplies with your new cam. There is no one fits all setting. There is a reason why the manufacture gives you the spec they do.