454 wanting to know everything

youngmonte71

im looking to put a 454 in my monte and i found one but i want to know if its a good block to use for 500hp. the # is 10069286. i think it is the Mark IV 4-bolt main. i want to know if this is a good engine. The guy that has it does not know what it is all he knows is its a stock crate motor but can not remember which.

Tyler, I think that was the last of the Gen IV blocks, maybe around 1990. I would just spend the money for a sonic test to make sure it has no excessive core shift that might result in a thin cylinder wall. Other than that it will work just fine, 4 bolt is a good thing and will handle tons of horsepower..Dave

The casting number does not give any information as to cast or forged crank or piston type or the type of heads. The bore and stroke on a stock 454 is 4.25" bore and 4" stroke, the rod length is 6.135. The pistons are most likely flat top cast if it is out of a pick up or something like that.

Where did you get the I.D number from on the block, because all of the casting numbers I have dont match anything like that.

If it is a Gen VI, the casting number should be a 3999289

for a 1972-78 2 bolt main. A 454 4 bolt main, something like 10051107. These numbers came from the chevellebigblock.com/pdf/bigblock. site.

If it was a complete, intact 4-bolt main 454, then it should have a forged steel crank, big 7/16 rods, and forged pistons (which you probably can't use if you bore it). Great bullet-proof start!

A lot of big blocks down here in FL were used in salt water boats, so find out if it was a boat motor. If it was, there could be tons of scale and rust in the water jackets.