Pics of headers with ball flange welded up

dbreese

Here are a couple of pics of the headers with the flowmaster ball flange collector welded up. Shot a light coat of paint on the headers and getting ready to send them off for coating.

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

The ball flange collectors are a neat piece and will allow minor adjustments when bolting in the exhuast system.

David

Pretty nice and you are so correct about the ball flange collector... wink

Question...what's with the unusual bends on the passenger side primary tubes? Usually that indicates a tuned system but the drivers side looks like a standard system so that can't be it.

Long story Bill but I'll make it short. Schoenfeld re-routed the number 4 tube so the number 2 tube would tuck in far enough to clear the rear lca boss (common problem with s/b's) I don't think they are tuned header. Short of some custom headers this was the good find and price for 1 3/4 primary tube headers ($179.00) Lemons are around 1200.00 uncoated. These will do just fine for now. grin

David

David gave "Trial and Error" a new meaning guys. Schoenfeld is the only company that makes a 1 3/4-1 7/8 header for us big ci.in. small block guys and there not even advertized for a 1st gen! Some of their headers are advertized for a 72-8x Monte. I dont think that they know (or misprinted) that a 1st gen is 70-72!.. He finally found a set! This is going to help all of us big ci small block guys. David, my hat is off to you bud! Thanks again for the great info and leg work. I'm gonna order mine this week!!

Hey Rafael,

186MCM-3. You'll have to put a slight ding (Really small) on the number 5 tube to clear the steering shaft. The passenger side fits like a glove. I should say they will not fit cars with a/c but if you have a delete box or factory non a/c car you'll be fine.

David

Hey Dave,

I know the purpose of using collector extentions when using open headers but if your running a full exhaust system with the same pipe dia as the collector itself are they still needed or I'm I just confused? laugh

Thanks,

David

I have ball & socket flanges too...mine are 3-bolt style. Mine would seal great for a short while, but then begin leaking. I had them double-nutted and the nuts were tight against each other, so the leak must have been showing up in the ball assembly. Maybe the constant movement was wearing away my coating, or the flange was reforming as it seated or something. The double nuts were not backing off, but the bolts felt loose.

I was re-tightening them pretty often until I went with these:

EXHAUST SPRINGS

You will need longer bolts to get them in there, but they do a very nice job of keeping the assembly tight.

Hey Dave,

I know the purpose of using collector extentions when using open headers but if your running a full exhaust system with the same pipe dia as the collector itself are they still needed or I'm I just confused? laugh

Thanks,

David

no it's just an open header thing Dave.....