Transmission Electrical

luke_501

Hey guys, first of all before i ask my question.. I want you all to know i am a newbie at all this stuff and trying my hardest to learn the ends and outs of car building. I absolutely messing with this stuff but dont always know what things are or what they do. So with that being said, i noticed there were 2 holes on the upper side of my tranny. i was wondering what goes in there. also, i noticed on a friends, that his had wires coming from those spots. what exactly do these go to and what are they? its a th350. anything will help! thankyou

On my 71 350 4 BBL with THM 350 trans there is a plug or connector on the right (passenger) side of the trans just above the pan lip area near the cooler lines, that is a control for the TCS (transmission controlled spark) part of an emission device. Other than that, I can't think of any electrical on an original 71 THM 350 trans. Do you know what trans type and or year it is? Perhaps it's a 200 4R overdrive, they have a electrical connection on the left (drivers) side that controls the locking clutch (I think).

Good luck.

Bruce

On my 71 350 4 BBL with THM 350 trans there is a plug or connector on the right (passenger) side of the trans just above the pan lip area near the cooler lines, that is a control for the TCS (transmission controlled spark) part of an emission device. Bruce

bruce, that sounds very familiar. is that something i need to be getting? like i said i have no clue about anything with motor or trans. i am a body man. also, how do i go about getting some cooler lines, and i know where they go in the transmission.. but where does the other ends go.

Luke,

My TSC was disabled in 1971, so unless you want a 100% original car or or an environmentalist who will do anything for clean air, you don't need it hooked up. You should have a vacuum line from the carb (ported spark) "vacuum only after the throttle plates are opened off idle" to the vacuum can on the dist.

As to the trans cooler lines, there are two steel lines, one that runs from the trans to the right (passenger) side of the radiator then one out of the rad back to the trans. I don't know where to get cooler lines from, I would call Leo. Leo has almost everything.

The TCS is something that you really don't want. If you are doing a restoration, then you need it...but if you just plan to drive the car it's of no use to you.

The TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) is a device that prevents any vacuum advance of the ignition unless the transmission is in 3rd gear. It was a way of meeting emissions standards when the car was built, but it hurts performance and mileage for around-town driving.