EFI

monte70car

So I have went ahead and ordered part of my EFI which is also the major price tag item. I have started a wish list from Summit for the fuel pump and regulator. One item I haven't put on the list is my return line and the fittings needed nor how I want to return the fuel. One option I have floating in my head is to drop my tank again(put a sending unit in a few years back) and put a sending unit with a return line made in it($50). Option two cut the filer neck and put in a Moroso return kit. Or option three drill into the filer neck and put a hose bib in for a return. Now option two and three will cause metal shavings to get in the tank which ain't good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definetly go with dropping the tank and updating the sending unit. Not real big on the idea of dumping fuel back in the fill neck, seems like it might aeriate the fuel.

Do you still have the original tank?

The original tank on my Monte had like 4-5 connections for all the emissions crap on it. You could easily use one of them for the return line. Also, the return flow should be very low pressure, so the risk of 'aeration' is very low.

Guess then you have not a lot of choices, the new sending unit will be the way to go. Remember that you will also need a vent line!

The sending unit and the EFI pump was order yesterday should see it all by the 22 of March, still wait on the system to show up so I can get an idea on what regulator I need to order and the return line. So it looks like I'm going to be a couple weeks out on doing the EFI swap, didn't know it was going to take this long for the heart of the system to come frown think they are sending it by pony mail as its been a week.

Well the UPS truck pulled smile but it did not bring the heart of the setup but it did bring the fuel pump and the sending unit. Hopefully the TBI unit comes in so I can start the swap, I am hopping that I can order the regulator Friday as its on sale plus grab the -6an fittings and hose. One step forward.

I know the deal no pictures it didn't happen well here are a few of the items that's come in so far 010-4.jpg009-3.jpg new sending unit. and the little fuel pump that can 011-1.jpg we have the same fuel pump on the Nomad to feed its TPI system with no issues so it should do just well for the TBI going on the Monte.

Yea I ordered it from JCWhiney and it just says ships the 9th of March from the makers, but yet when I was looking it say in stock 3/14 so I'm not sure whats up with that. I'm also supposed to get a email when the maker ships it out which I haven't seen yet.

.....from JCWhiney...

Boooohooo!!! crycry

Maybe a few calls to JCWhitney and Professional Products are required?

Well called JC Whitney and it was backorder back until April 14 which just wont work, so I need up canceling that order. I turned around called Summit checked to see if they had the system in stock and ordered it from them. While on the phone with the Summit guy(don's usual call in my orders) I asked if they still price match which they do yay so I got the system for a dollar less then what JC Whitney has it listed for and I will back it in two days which makes it even better.

Well the system came in today and I must say it's a pretty nice system since I went with the stain look. They forget to tell you be careful with the system as they do test them before sending them out and there might be a little gas left in the line. I'm hopping to start at least part of the installation this weekend by dropping the tank and putting the new sending unit in and installing the new fuel pump. The last items on the list to get is the regulator return hose and the an fittings. I will probably have to call to check on how the tv cable for the 700r4 needs to be done or if I can reused that bracket from the Holley on the throttle body.

Cool,

Their website says "Each unit fully tested on a running engine before shipping"

Mine smelled like gas as well...

Got the throttle body bolted down this afternoon and had to come to a stop due to not having a bushing for the water sensor to screw in. Can't use my dual inlet air cleaner like I was hopping due to the fuel bowls sticking out like they do so its back to an open element cleaner. newefi001.jpg the only downfall to the system is the wires newefi006.jpg that's all you get to play with.

I'm not sure why that part of the wire harness is so short, I did length the power wire, coil wires, and the fuel pump yesterday. I got around last night ordering the rest of the parts so they should be in early next week putting the finish date next weekend give or take. So far everything has went well other then putting the water sensor in the intake need a bashing for that my other ideal was in the head but the harness would not reach. So far the only wire hooked up is the 12+ wire.

I'm not sure why that part of the wire harness is so short,

Ahh, now I understand. You are right, the wires are kinda short, but it's only a few of them...

Make sure to keep the tach wire away from electrical noise (spark plug wires, etc)

Got some more work done this afternoon/evening no major issue, this will be the new look 001-24.jpg kinda sad that my other air cleaner wont work like I wont but oh well. The o2 sensor went in 5" back from where the lead pipe bolts to the header 002-22.jpg. The two blue wires go to the coil one to the + side and one to the - side those are the last two wires under the hood to hook up. Then on the passenger side it's looking like this 004-14.jpg I have a feeling the tbi will have to come back off to screw the regulator on and get the return line in place. The regulator, return line(and fittings), psi will be tomorrow shooting for a sunday start date if everything works out right.