EFI

monte70car

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh OK, for a second I thought you are planning to connect two wires from the Powerjection to the coil, which would destroy it...

Tried to make some head way this afternoon ran into a sang with the regulator the end that is cap is bigger then the inlet of the regulator. Went ahead and ran the return line and the power wire for the pump. Once the gas tank goes back up in place the bottom of the tank will be done in gloss black.The new sending unit is in and is locked in place and ready to go back under the car. Got the water sensor in place, just one step away from being done and started. I will be using the 454 450 HP map as a base and then fine tune it for my motor. tank001.jpg

And it breathes once again, I guess I made you all wait long enough. The bushing I was waiting on came in late this evening and it's on along with the fuel regulator. Got some more tuning to do but for some reason the connection to the ecm keeps dropping and it stays running right now I have a base profile saved to the ecm but I think it needs to be adjusted. My air to fuel mixture comes back at 12.5:1 with the target being 13, but it is rich right now so something has to be adjusted. The throttle is real crisp no delay when you want to get on it. More adjusting will come tomorrow afternoon with sun light in stead of darkness. monteatnight002.jpg fuel PSI is 43-45 monteatnight003.jpg and why not a night time video (the garage lights would not come on)th_monteatnight001.jpg

Make sure you enter realistic REAR WHEEL torque values in the setup software. Running rich overall usually means you were too optimistic with the torque values grin

Also, did you take it out for a spin yet? The adaptive learning does not start until the car is warmed up and has been driven a bit!

If yes, how do the values look like in the adaptive learning screen? If you see a lot of +/- 25 or +/- 30, you have some base setting (like torque) wrong...

It was late when I got it up and running but the torque is probably off. I used the big block 454 profile I need to find a way to figure out the torque as I don't have a clue. Work gets in the way of fun but it keeps the projects rolling. On the map sensor it was showing -112 I believe but I can check when I get home did get the idle between 900 and 1000. Not sure why the laptop loses connection with the ecu while adjusting the settings.

I would use an engine simulator from any camshaft manufacturer and put in your engine parameters.

Then deduct the crankshaft output torque by 15-20% to arrive at Rear Wheel Torque...

Can hardly read the temparture, is it 180 or greater? Instruction say to warm up to operating temp before trying your first drive...

For some reeason, I can not play that video.

Just a shot here: The Powerjection grounds through the engine block. So if you have loss of electrical power to the unit make sure that the engine block,frame,chassis are all nicely grounded.

Also, the unit is very sensitive to electrical noise in the tach wire. Keep the wire away from coils/sparkplug wires. I will actually use shielded wire for the tach signal when I get to install the unit...

Thing has me confused when its cold it takes a while to start it cranks and it will catch then cut off. I can throw the battery charger on it set for start mode and it will start right up, I have adjust the IAC and the cranking settings but it don't have any effect. What I find odd when I cut it off it will run on like a carb car would so I'm lost.

Well today the car made its trip out of the shop and driveway and could not get on it as it was popping out the exhaust and I did not turn the data log on so I didn't get any data. On a good note it will start back up after its ran for a few which is a good sign.

Yea I changed the torque valves right now the car will start good once its warm I'm still working on the cold start side. I did a rough caluaction of the torque which came to 374 then when I took the 20% off it came down to 276 and ran like crap idling. I have a few items to look at when I get in on the cold start issue one being my base timing being off and the other being the fuel pump prime not long enough. I'm hopping to get the cold start issue resolved this afternoon and then another test with Tue data log turned on.

So has it gone through a full adaptive learning cycle yet?

If yes, how does the ADL table look like? If you see a lot of +/- 25 to 30, something is wrong with your base settings....

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting the tweaking done to the system. There is a few items I think they could add to the manual one being a base sitting for the butterflies. I have been talking to one of the guys that help build the system and so far it looks like I'm back in the ballpark. With my dist. the "SP" wire had to be hooked up to the tach output wire from the dist which the manual doesn't cover that. Also notice that my tachs were not hooked to the neg side of coil but they still worked which I though was odd. Currently the system has run a total of 2 hours and my a/f ratio as of yesterday was 12.9 where my target is 13.5 but my plugs are black.

Looks like you make some progress.

Again, how does the Adaptive Learning Table looks like?

Since your target and actual are still that far apart, there could be something fundamentally wrong with your base parameters...

• 2 months later...

I have made it back to tuning the system after a long break and a hood job. I got my a/f ratio dial in at 14.5 car is not running rich at idle which is what I was after, but I am noticing a little bite of a popping sound when the rpm's come down not sure why. I did pull a plug or two and checked #1 looks good but #'s 2&4 and still black. The a/f ratio seems to be the best at 14.5 if up to 15.0 it runs a little rough and it leaves tears in your eyes. I did not check the adaptive learning table as I was targeting the a/f ratio. I'm sure my spark plug gap could be bigger as its sit at .035 even through I'm running the MSD dist.

Sounds like you are tracking it down. Sounds like it may still be running a little rich, not sure why just 2 and 4 are black.

Reading through this tread just reinforces the fun??? I'm going to have trying to tune my TPI system...

I have made it back to tuning the system after a long break and a hood job. I got my a/f ratio dial in at 14.5 car is not running rich at idle which is what I was after, but I am noticing a little bite of a popping sound when the rpm's come down not sure why. I did pull a plug or two and checked #1 looks good but #'s 2&4 and still black. The a/f ratio seems to be the best at 14.5 if up to 15.0 it runs a little rough and it leaves tears in your eyes. I did not check the adaptive learning table as I was targeting the a/f ratio. I'm sure my spark plug gap could be bigger as its sit at .035 even through I'm running the MSD dist.

Check the thread on the Buick forum I posted above

Pretty sure they discussed the deceleration popping there