Which new TH400 would be best

Will

Hey Guys

Shopping around for a new TH400 to go in back of my 468. Got a B&M holeshot 2400 converter. Shes putting out about 550 at the flywheel. Was thinking maybe the B&M street/strip. Looking to stay around $1000. What do you guys reccomend?

Thanks

Hey Will,

See if there are any good rebuild transmission shop in your area or ask some of your gearhead friends who may know. I would just have your 400 gone through. th400 are pretty tough in stock form. Just mild upgrades like clutches and steels along with a shift kit and I think you will be set. If you are running a converter with any stall over stock get a good cooler.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Get yours rebuilt by a reputable tranny shop. A stock TH400 will hold to 900HP with no modification. Unless you have done your homework the converter you have may not be the right one for your application. There are no two setups that require the same stall speed for optimum performance. Don't forget the Spicer 1350 series u-joints, 4340 tranny yoke, and 4340 pinion yoke(you can pay now, or pay later). Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the input. Got a New TH400 case and Im going with the B&M transkit to do the rebuild myself. My converter is a B&M holeshot with 2400 stall. So she should be fine. Will let you know how it goes.