- engine block behind the alternator

10202 CRN

18815xxxx

- above engine oil filter

HI PERF

K

PA 69

Thanks

CRN is a 1970 LS5 like Sam said. Please double check the letters and numbers, but this is what I get.

The 1 on 10202 is probably a T and not a 1 for the Tonawanda plant. A 1 was substituted for a T a lot in the creation of the CON VIN's.

0202 is Feb 22 of 1970

18815XXXX = 1 is Chevrolet, 1st 8 is most likely a zero for 1970, Second 8 is (no gaurentee) probably a B for the Baltimore plant and 15XXXX is and should be the last 6 of the VIN in your dash. The last 8 digits of the number (8815XXXX) should be the same as the last 8 digits of the VIN in the dash.

Your casting number should be on the driver side where the bell housing mates with the block and should be 3963512. A 28 70 should be the actual casting date of January 28th, 1970. The PA 69 I believe is the form date of the casting. So the casting mold was 1969, your block was poored in January of 1970, and then the motor itself was built in February of 1970.

This all should flow with the build date of your car on the body tag under the hood.

Kevin

Hey Jim,When you say those numbers are by the coil and distributor are you meaning on the backside of the engine block or on top by the carb ?? as the Intake will have a date on it too just infront of the coil and behind the carb...

Yeah Kevin is right that first Number should be a letter and it would be a "T" as Kevin and I are both running LS-5's and thats what is there and all the others too.

Good one Sam and Kevin you nailed it pretty good but one last 2 cents worth....That CRN is an Automatic Block number..haha.

as a 4spd block will have a different LS-5 code.....

Darren.

They changed the casting in mid 69 and I have yet to find a place that talks about what casting dates / codes go with the chnges to the casting in 1969.

It just depends if it has a high (early) or a low (late) distributor boss.

Kevin

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I checked the engine block numbers behind the alternator again. The first number is definitely a one. 10202CRN

The last eight digits match the vin from the dash and the build sheet.

The numbers by the coil and distributor are on the intake manifold.

The car is a Baltimore built 1970 SS monte.

Jim

Jim, that is great news.. Looks like you have yourself a true SS454 ..

Now you have to post pix, or we will send the canadian mafia up to see you.. :-)

We really like pics here, and cool finds like this are awesome..

Kevin