Initial timing

robs70monte

What should i set the Initial timing at on the Monte? Is a mild 383 .030 over with a 268h comp cam other then that its stock besides headers and roller rockers ect... Its a new HEI gm distributor

If it is in fact an original factory HEI and not a knock off (quality can vary). Then what you need to be carefull of is too much total timing. Most small blocks, except vortec heads, seem to like around 36-38 degrees total timing. This is with vacumn advance unplugged. If you don't have access to a dial back timing light then a timing tape for your balancer is a good alternative. So to answer your question (finaly lol). A good inital setting is 16-18 degrees. But if your distributer advances more than 20-22 degrees then you will have too much total. If you wish there are distributer recurve kits that can be installed (moroso is one manufacturer that comes to mind) that come with weights, springs and a limiter bushing. But check first to see what your set up is before you start switching out parts. Who knows you may get lucky. David

Its is a real gm hei I have a spring and weight kit but I don't mess with the heis that ofton so I would have no clue ware to start in my last motor I was running a old school dual points Set up

With the mild cam I would not go over 36 total. It would be nice to know how much centrifugal advance is in the distributor. How much compression are you running?

If you are at 10 to 1 with cast iron heads I would keep it at 36 total advance. If you can figure out the amount of centrifugal advance, subtract that from 36 and you get your initial. For example, if you have 24 degrees in the distributor, you would want to set your initial at 12.