4 Speed Shifter

Boz

Will any after market 4 speed shifter work with a console or does it take a special shifter? This is the first 4 speed car I will be doing only have messed with auto's and didn't want to get something that won't work. Thanks

That's a good question, Boz.

Obviously a period correct Muncie shifter will work, but those are getting pretty hard to find. The factory (Muncie) shifter in my '70 was replaced by a Hurst shifter when the engine was modified back in 1974, so it is rather old.

As you probably know, the shifter has to be in Reverse in order to get the key out of the ignition, at least on a factory 4-speed car. That was a challenge with the Hurst shifter because the lever was hitting the left side of the opening in the console before it could be pushed forward into Reverse.

I checked the mounting of the shifter frame on the transmission and did not see anything amiss. All of the bolts were tight and the linkage all lined up between the shifter and the transmission shift arms. So, when I discovered that the shifter handle was actually a two-piece unit (the joint and bolts are hidden under the rubber boot), I decided to simply place 1/2" spacers between the two pieces and use 1/2" longer bolts. That positioned the upper arm of the shift lever far enough to the right to avoid interference with the left edge of the console opening (as shown in the picture below).

P3310273.jpg

Although I tightened the new fine-thread bolts super tight, I certainly wouldn't suggest using spacers in a racing or power-shifting situation.

Hi...

That is a pretty loaded question...it all depends upon several things...

The short answer is - NO, but it depends!

In order to better help you...can you give us more specifics? Like...is/was this car a factory automatic transmission? If so...auto on the column or floor? If the car is a factory manual transmission...is/was it a 3 speed or 4 speed? What front seats are/were in the car? Basically, we need to know what you have now, and what you plan on doing. Such as...factory bench seat, TH350 auto on the column, converting to a bucket seat, console, 4 speed Muncie car.

I could write for hours giving you all the different scenarios...but it would be easier if you could just give me more information based on what you have and what you are going to do...then I can help you out.

The short answer is this: if you want to put a correct factory console in a 4 speed car...you will have to have a certain shifter "handle". But...like I said, it all depends upon certain other items...like if you are also going to use the correct "console floor tunnel" or not. If not, and you are just going to cut a "hole" in the floor...then you can get away with many different shifter "handles" as well as different shifters themselves. At that point, your only concern would be to have a shifter "handle" that clears the top plate of the console itself.

Let us know more information, then we can better help you out.

It is a Auto car now but my wife wants a 4 speed so it will be a 4 speed factory console car with buckets. I just wasn't sure what shifters would work with the console or if it mattered. Thanks

Mr Scaggs, get on the Hurst website and it has all the answers. I just converted my 68 Velle back to 4 speed and went through no less than three used shifters until I bit the bullet and bought the right one fron Hurst. To use a factory console (consoles are the same, top plates convert to row your own) the shifter has a base that is offset to center the stick in the hole(oh stop). I bought thre shifter and the install kit for around $500 and could not be happier.

I also bought a repop Muncie shifter but seemed much more like an erector set than a shifter. I personally believe muffler clamps should not be involved in the mounting. Plus to use a factory Muncie you NEEEEED an original 4 gear crossmember and the Hurst lets you use an auto crossmember( you already got that).

Andy

arghh im going too have too deal with this same problem very shortly, im buying the console tunnel extension but do i have too? not looking forward too this, do you really have too spend 500 bones too get a shifter?

Pretty much. The shifter was $369 and the install kit which is the rods, bushings, clips, and speed stickers. I was not happy about it either but when Ausleys finally delivered the Dynacrap Muncie shifter, I had not all the parts to make it work. The crossmember has a mount in top welded to it that they don't sell, but Ground Up does. But consider this. The Muncie shifter muffler clamps itself to the tail shaft then uses a rubber bushed rod to one of the extension housing bolts. So you are mounted to the trans but is independant to the crossmember. Just a really chessy setup. The Hurst simply bolts to the tail shaft and nothing else. Deadly accurate.

But I bought myu Muncie from a guy who claimed to know his stuff. Paid a grand for it with the shifter. He said it fir the A Body consoled cars with no issue. Nope. Tried for a few days and tapped. got out the American Express and bit the bullet. But the whole thing worked out really well, minus the extra cost of a moron that knows his stuff right up until he is paid.