Shift Indicator Cable

Xxyyzz

So I'm installing a new shift indicator cable. I can connect it to the cluster, but wher does the other end go? In the neutral safety switch?

-Mark

That's a very good question now that you mention it... I accidentally yanked mine out of the dash a long time back hmm... did you replace the cable with the dash still together? if so how did ya get that done? I need to put a new one in eventually and I have no idea where it goes lol

Funny cause the only reason I need one is because my wife has started taking a liking to driving the car but she doesn't know if it's in Drive or L1... I just go by memory and observation. lol

yea, i can do it by feel as well... but when your sitting in a drive thru and your not sure if you threw it in park or not it can be annoying. I took the dash pad off and removed a few dash bolts so the dash slid back a few inches, then i removed the cluster. I'm not sure if it is possible to do it while the cluster is still in. If you PM me your phone # I can text you some pics of how it connects to the indicator side.

-Mark

Column casing?

LOL, sorry. That was the best way I could describe it in 2 words. There is a section of the column "housing" (to use a different word) that moves when you change gears on column shift cars. The clip goes on the edge of this housing under the dash.

The gear indicator in the speedo is spring loaded. If there is nothing pulling on this cable, the indicator stays all the way to the left in Park. When this cable is connected to the column, the cable will pull the indicator to the right when you pull the shifter down. I wish I had a picture for you.

Take a look at your column and you will likely see where the cable used to be clipped on. there should be a small screw hole there. If your car is assembled, you may need to drop the column down a bit to find this.

"Take a look at your column and you will likely see where the cable used to be clipped on. there should be a small screw hole there." I couldn't have said it better. DON'T LOSE THE TINY SCREW

I just happen to have my dash and steering column dropped on my 71 Monte. The clip from the gauge cluster attaches to the shift column with the screw in a slotted hole on the right side of the column. This part of the column rotates as you move the gear shift lever. Slot is used for adjustment of the indicator needle. When you tighten the screw on the clip it clamps to the column. You can see the clip hanging from the cluster just above the slotted hole.

ShiftIndicator.jpg

Hope this helps.

Mike