monte engine swap ideas

70Monterrs

I have recently acquired my dads monte carlo as a gift. It has a 402 BBC bored .30 over, edelbrock aluminum performer RPM heads, forged pistons, 10:5:1 compression, holley hooker headers, msd 6A box, 268 XE cam from comp cams, backed by a TH400 rebuilt trans and 12 bolt posi rear. Now while this is impressive, it lacks what I am going for. I have another Monte I want to drop this engine and trans in. What I want for the monte thats been in the family is a full rebuild which Ive started on. But, I am looking for ideas on whether a 90s fuel injected 454 will drop into the monte without alot of fabrication and back it with a 4l60E trans. Also, these 454s came in trucks so can they be re cammed and tuned and diff computer package to make them fast. will the aluminum heads off my 402 (aluminum performer RPM from edelbrock) fit on a 90s 454?

There are a few differences between the Mark IV and the later GEN5 and GEN6.

I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I miss something. The later blocks do not have a place for a mechanical fuel pump and the older Mark IV heads will not fit the GEN 5 block. They will however fit the GEN6 block. I believe it was also the GEN6 that got a roller cam. The motor mounts are in the same place and I believe all of the front drive accessory holes are in the same place so you shouldn't have a problem putting the motor in the car and hooking up the accessories. You will need to run an electric fuel pump (needed with EFI anyway) but otherwise it should be pretty straight forward.

There is only 2 real problems with the later blocks. 1st is they are not as strong as the earlier blocks and I have see the main webbing crack on two different blocks around 600HP. If you plan to make more than this an early block is a better option.

2nd is the compression is really low. Depending on the year they where anywhere from 7.9 to 8.5/1 CR. Perfect for turbo charging BTW smile

I have a Gen V in my '70 Monte. I pitched all of the fuel injection stuff for a Preformer intake and Holly carb. I love the power it puts out just as I have it set up. I plan on throwing in a set of New heads and a installing a cam & lifter set in the near future. Good luck with yours.th_004-3.jpg