Transmission Cooler Help!

luke_501

hey guys, i just bought an aluminum cylinder tranny cooler. If i am using a tranny cooler do i have to run my lines thru my radiator also? and is there certain distance i have to keep my cooler away from my transmission? i am wanting to mount it on my firewall. Will that get too hot? im running 2 10 in electric fans. any help would be grateful. Thanks!

Im pretty sure you need better air flow than you could get in the firewall and the lines run off the tranny cooler lines but check the instructions I have only done a couple of them and was like almost 30 years ago. Real men do need instructions.

If i am using a tranny cooler do i have to run my lines thru my radiator also?

You could but you don't have to. I do not run mine through the radiator.

Originally Posted By: luke_501
and is there certain distance i have to keep my cooler away from my transmission?

Nope.

Originally Posted By: luke_501
i am wanting to mount it on my firewall. Will that get too hot? im running 2 10 in electric fans.

I can't picture any where on the firewall that would be good...just not alot of airflow. You mention two fans, are these mounted on the radiator and you are relying on them to blow on the cooler? If so those fans are already pulling hot air then it passes the hot motor and then it would finally reach the firewall mounted cooler...I don't think that is a good idea.

Alot of people mount those type of coolers under the car on the frame rail.

Any trans cooler I have ever seen rely`s on flow through air for cooling.

Mounting it on the FW would block the exit of the air. Not a good place as it would also be in line with the flow of engine heat, while the engine is also restricting cooler air getting to it.

The coolers I have seen were always mounted at a location in front of the radiator for optimal cooling.

oops. 502ci types faster then me.

I think the reason alot of people use these types of coolers as opposed to the small finned type that go in front of the radiator is because they offer you the option of placing it elsewhere. I, and a buddy of mine both have these coolers mounted on our frame rails right next to the tranny so the cooler lines are nice and short and clean. Both of

us do not use our radiator tranny coolers and both of us have had them on in excess of 10 years with zero problems on th350 trannies. I read an article in Car Craft a couple of years ago that said these coolers were more efficient, but I don't know how true that really is. Hope this helps.

Nygel

Thanks guys for the info. The reason i thought about putting it on the firewall is because my firewall is shaved with nothing on it but m.c and wiper motor. But it sounds like the way to go is underneath on the frame. Il give it a shot and see what happens.

Ok I'm going to treadjack for a second. I am thinking about purchasing a transmission cooler.

Question 1:

What is the stock transmission line usually made or? Mine is currently stainless steel that is unfortunately leaking at the tranny due to crushed fittings.

Qestion 2:

Most coolers I've been able to find are barb type. Where would I find a threaded one?