Summit Power Steering Bracket

AndyBill402

Summit sells this power steering bracket, item number SUM-340100. Link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-340100/ It replaces the original power steering brackets and is advertised to fit the Gen 1 small block. Has anyone installed this item? Does it work well? I would absolutely Love to get rid of my factory power steering brackets. One of the original brackets bolts to the cylinder head. It's designed for the factory exhaust manifolds. If you run headers you need to either make a special bracket or modify the factory bracket. The Summit bracket does away with all of that.

If you're dead-set against retaining your stock stuff that will be fine. But if all you're worried about is the stock bracket you just need to make a spacer that is the width of the exhaust manifold. You can make one from 3/8 inside diameter steel pipe and cut it to length. Then you use a stock exhaust manifold bolt on that one hole. I got mine from Lowe's. I think it was about 3 dollars. David

It looks like it would be a real pain to get at the jam nut on the tension adjuster rod with the pulley on.

I put march brackets on my big block. I never had an issue with the stock brackets just wanted to improve the look. With the March brackets I tossed a lot of belts at the track until I made another bracket to help support the power steering pump. Had to attach it to the head.

If you're dead-set against retaining your stock stuff that will be fine. But if all you're worried about is the stock bracket you just need to make a spacer that is the width of the exhaust manifold. You can make one from 3/8 inside diameter steel pipe and cut it to length. Then you use a stock exhaust manifold bolt on that one hole. I got mine from Lowe's. I think it was about 3 dollars. David

I did the same. I made mine out of .750 dia aluminum round bar stock then bore a hole through it. Did it at work. wink