Rear Wheel Bearing Questions ...

Mike Brichta

I would like to replace both rear wheel bearings in my 70 monte and have a few questions before I start. It is a 70 BOP 10-bolt Posi 3.55 rear. Here are my questions:

- Since the axels are bolted in (not C-clips) do I have to remove the rear cover? I'm guessing NO.

- Do I have to remove all of the brake stuff before I can slide out the axel? I'm guessing YES.

- Is the bearing pressed onto the axel? I'm guessing YES.

- Is there an oil seal somewhere around the bearing? If so, what kind is it so I can order one with the bearings?

- Are both axels the same or is there a right and left side axel?

Thanks!!

Mike

If I remember correctly you dont have to remove the cover unless you want to drain the fluid (which I would suggest anyway) I belive the bearings are pressed on and the seals go on the axels before the bearings I dont think you have to remove the brake parts I think the backing plate will stay somewhat in place and I belive the axels are the same but I would make sure they go back in the same side. This is all on memory its been years since I did one of those.

No. The rear is a BOP rear so it doesn't have C-clips. Apparently in 1970 they ran out of Chevy rears for a time and used BOP rears instead. I actually prefer the bolt-in axles over the C-clips.