PC slow?

FastClass

Is it doing strange things? Do you do searches and sometimes wind up at undesired sites? Or ones that have nothing to do with what you searched for?

You may be infected. No AV catches everything. Here are two highly respected programs that may help solve some of the slowness.

Both offer a free version that will do it`s best to remove what it finds. For free. Both also offer paid versions that offer a layer of extra protection and work well with most\all AV`s.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

These are both the real deal and not snake oil that promise the world.

Read and learn.

It`s not bad but usually no longer recommended.

Not to take away from the program writer. But there are some really nasty things out there. And they are forever being altered\rewritten to avoid detection.

S&D is just not keeping up.

Do some reading on rootkit infections. Very nasty information, bank account stealing, ID theft little buggers.

Very hard to detect. Even harder to get rid of.

I use a program on occation to root out those little buggers but its not your everyday user friendly program.

Hijackthis

Will display every file open, every .dll being used and every program being run. If you have a virus thats being difficult to get rid of this thing can. Only problem is all it does is display EVERYTHING! That includes operating system files, programs you normally use and such. Delete the wrong file and say goodbye to windows...

I have cleaned up a number of pc's this way though I never leave it on the pc only because if the owner opens it and clicks the wrong thing its a dead pc.

Am familiar with Hijack This.

There are several other dedicated rootkit detection\removal tools.

None are for the novice.

Everything I read still says the only 100% sure way to be rid of them is a total reformat.

Everything I read still says the only 100% sure way to be rid of them is a total reformat.

I have said that for years, but no one wants to hear that. smile I tried to tell the desktop support guys at my last job that and they said it took too long... As the systems / network admin I told them but if you are not 100% sure, then I don't want the machine on my network....

PS that is why I run Ubuntu on all my computers, except 2 at home...

Have played with the Ubuntu live CD.

But all my Clients (work out of my house on personal PCs only) run Windows. Can barely keep up with the GUI changes since Vista without taking on a whole new OS.

Maybe look into some imaging software. Do a clean install then image it. Get an infection? Nuke and repave the drive, being sure to wipe the MBR, with the image. Then you just have to grab updates.

Still a PITA but faster then a total install.

I have been playing with hardware independent back-up. One image for multiple machines. Regardless of make, model, etc.

Do`t know how standardized your environment is.

Am familiar with Hijack This.

There are several other dedicated rootkit detection\removal tools.

None are for the novice.

I loved using Hijack This. I've saved about 3 comps using it lol and one comp was a completely lost cause... something had gotten into it and fried the motherboard... stupid mice... lol I couldn't save that one!

Do`t go getting to over confident. wink

Neither Linux or Mac are immune. Viruses are usually written by very well organized crime. Most are meant to do only one thing. Make money for the people writing\spreading them.

The more popular Mac and Linux become the bigger bulls-eye they will become.

Apple Macs Now Targeted By Viruses.

Macs no longer immune to viruses, experts say.

Well, sure, of course it's possible. It's less likely to occur, however, because anything based on Unix (which OS X is of course) usually needs operator approval for things to be installed and/or system files to be updated.

Aside from that: while I agree that it's wholly possible and that it does happen from time to time, the truth of the matter is that it's been a "possible threat" for over a decade and we haven't seen much. I'm living in the now with an incredibly reliable machine that gets work done, rather than gets worked on.

Suit yourself.

The Mac is a new(er) target. The here and now = not a big target. The future, as Macs grow in use will be a different story.

Just a heads up.

I do not spend time working on any of my 6 Win powered machines.

Proper initial set up, a little knowledge, and safe surfing habits go a long way.

I have a copy of SYMANTEC AV 10 / and MS Antispyware. It is FREE and not a bootleg copy. I get it from the government (no conspiracy theories plz) for free and they encourage us to give it out for FREE as well. Anyone who wants a copy, I can send it to you on a CD, FTP it to you or whatever. It is for anything up to XP. It will automatically do live updates and keep you current, and you can put it on as many PC's as you can. No limits, and it continues to update as long as you are connected to the INTERNET (cloud).

Also for all you newer MS OS guys then Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go. It is FREE as well and does an outstanding job as well keeping out the VIRUS woes.

Please keep in mind, when you do unscrupulous things with your computer no amount of cover will keep you from getting a VIRUS, eventually they will get you. These last few programs are for the backyard PC guy who stays away from the bad neighborhoods..

Shoot me a PM if you want the AV-10 or the Spyware stuff.

Seen that myself.

Except it was on PCs in use. Some people just never learned to open up their tower and clean them out once in a while.

Cob webs and spiders eggs every where. Even a mouse turd or two in a couple machines I have worked on.

The threat continues to grow.

Updated rogue AV installs without password.

You can bet it won`t be long until other virus writers borrow the code\programing and follow suit with other malicious programs.

This, unfortunately, is the here and now.

I didn't say it wasn't impossible, I said it was rare. Compare the amount of news items on Mac viruses and PC viruses and you'll see my point.

And you continue to miss mine. smile

Those articles provided are current and very much in the here and now.

The risk is real. And growing.

Am simply supplying factual info from reputable sources.

Do with your MAC as you will.

If you do`t do risky surfing then you may very well be just fine.

I have dealt with PCs as old as Win 98 that had never had an AV or any form of protection on them. The User was a safe surfer and the PC was as clean as a whistle.

I have dealt with PCs as old as Win 98 that had never had an AV or any form of protection on them. The User was a safe surfer and the PC was as clean as a whistle.

ditto

You would not believe, or maybe you will, the things we find on Govy computers. Even with firewalls, IDS, HBSS at all levels of the NOCs and the ship itself running. And pop up pron still manages to get the lan infected with a dummma$$ user..

The worst most careless, ignorant(?) Users I have ever seen are those using some one else`s PCs. It is`t their`s, they do`t have to maintain it. They just plain do`t care.

I do`t envy you if you have to deal with it. I stay away from dealing with business`s, their networks.