May need a new cam. Wanna run a mean sounding one

Kevin Wiles

427 *TALL* big block 427 block with 454 heads and crank. This is a tall deck truck style motor. Right now we are doing some investigating. The current cam may be worn, causing a cylinder to be dead.

Engine is running rough and backfiring. When at idle, pulling the #4 plug wire has no effect on engine. Plug #4 is getting fire. Pulled the valve cover and the valves appear to be moving fine, like the other cylinders... but we are going to do a compression test soon.

The engine is pretty mild for a big block. When it was running good, it had a smooth idle.

I want a mean ground pounding idle if I end up needing a new cam. What are your suggestions. Please remember this is a tall deck if that matters. And it is a stick shift car with no accessories except power brakes, and I know that opens up a lot of possibilities. I can afford a cam and lifter kit right now but nothing exotic. I am planning on leaving the rockers and pushrods and all that STOCK. What are my options for a rowdy sounding cam for my engine?

Quick check for compression: Unhook the coil wire or disconnect the power wire going to your distributor and crank the engine over. Listen to the engine as it goes around...if it sounds steady the compression is close to equal in all cylinders; but if it sounds like "dah dah dah dah dah dah DAHH dah dah" as it goes around, you have a cylinder with low compression. (it's hard to type sound effects).

Another item to check for is a broken valve spring. A broken spring can make a cylinder act dead even if it's otherwise in good shape.

As for your cam, I can understand why you'd want it to sound "race-car-ish" LOL. The problem with the big blocks is that the stock springs limit your valve lift to about .480, anything larger than that will give you coil bind. It's going to be hard to find a performance cam with such little lift and the big blocks crave lift. You might just have to bite the bullet and get a set of matching springs to go with your new cam, but it'll be worth it in the end.

If you do end up changing cams ( springs too ) take a look at the Voodoo line. The guys at Team Chevelle like the 60203. You might even go the 60204. I have a 60202 ( thanks CHIEF MK ) and am very impressed but would probably be too stock sounding for you. I am going for the sleeper vibe and wanted a wide lobe center (112 degrees). David