TH400 Tail Housing

SS Haze

I might have to take the tail housing off my 70 - TH400. Tail shaft seal refuses to come out. Is there a gasket between the housing and the tranny? If so, I can't seem to find one.

Thanks,

Mike

use a chisel to bend up the edge of the seal that sits against the tailhousing, work your way around to bend up a much as you can, then grab a hold of it with some vise-grips, clamp it as close as you can to the tailshaft housing then just push (using the housing as a pivot point) the vise-grips down and it should start to pull the seal out

I've seen cases where adhesive was used on assembly...makes it really tough to remove later!

Sometimes a seal puller simply rips through the seal like a can opener, instead of trying to actually pull it out. I have a medium-sized crescent wrench that works perfect for this job and I use it just as I would use a "real" seal puller. The added width of the jaws help prevent it from ripping through the seal. You just have to select the proper size wrench so it will fit in the gap between the output shaft and the seal.