Exhaust

Xxyyzz

Im looking to get a non-custom exhaust. Probably something thats built to fit the car from ebay. maybe magnaflow or something.

My question is any major performance/sound difference between 2.5" and 3" pipes?

Also any major performance/sound benefits from an x-pipe?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Check out the systems offered by Torque Tech http://www.torquetechexh.com/ I purchased a 3" system with the x-pipe but used Pypes Race Pro mufflers (14" case) and the quality and fit of the entire system was great.

I actually went to the business ( 45 min from my house) and spoke with the owner for several hours. Very nice man and he has been designing and building exhaust systems for A body cars since 1992. They are a family owned business and they have great customer support after the sale.

I don't know what kind of hp your making and what you will planning to do with the car. A 3" system will be louder regardless of hp. The x-pipe is designed to help in scavange the exhaust and really seems to benfit the car at the track especially at higher rpm. A typical h pipe or balance tube works well by helping quiet down the exhaust and balancing out the exhaust pulses and may provide a little more torque down low but after about 3000 rpm the exhaust gases tend to bypass the h-pipe and it loses effectiveness.

A 2.5" system might be all you need but if you have plans for the future to go with a stronger mill you might take a serious look at a 3"

Here is a short vid of my car with system installed and running. I had to modify my driveshaft loop to tuck the x-pipe up and move the tail pipes back just a hair to clear the bolts that hold the anti-rollbar in place on the axle tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slow72monte

There are other guys on the site that run Torque Tech so maybe they will chime in.

David

JMHO, but I agree with David about Torque Tech. Just talk to them and they will hook you up with the correct system for your car for today and any performance goals down the road. I have one of their 3.5" X-pipe systems that necks down to 3" in front of the mufflers. I run Dynomax mufflers to be in more of a stealth mode on the street, but when I whack the throttle hard it will sound off with the best of them. My stealth worked until I had to switch to a 4" cowl hood a couple years back do to upgrades under the hood. Now the cats out of the bag.

502ci hooked me up with the Torque Tech people and they are great. I went with the 3" to the back bumper and the H pipe. 40 Series mufflers. The sound is great and I've had so many compliments on the sound. Everyone here in our small town ask me all the time when I'm going to bring the car out so they can hear it.