Melted Detent/ TV/Kickdown Cable.

NickStihl

So I finished up the gas tank replacement with a new kickdown cable since the old one was pretty crusty and weak. I replaced with Dorman part 04212. Thought that I it all adjust correctly and it was until the inner lining somehow got melted to cable inside of it.

I made sure not to run it near the header. confused

So, anyone have any thoughts on other brands or where to get them? rockauto doesn't seem to carry that part anymore.

Make sure you have a good electrical ground and it's not using your cable as a better ground.

Bruce

Make sure you have a good electrical ground and it's not using your cable as a better ground.

Bruce

This was just for the linkage connecting the carb to the transmission. Is there something else I should keep an eye for?

Maybe I missed something...

I have seen where the body to frame ground wire broke and during cranking, all the amps went through the throttle cable, overheating it and causing it to melt. Your description of a melted cable brought that past event to mind and I wanted to at least post of it's possibility. Just make sure you have a good ground to both the engine and body from the battery.

Bruce

Leaving the cable off or unhooked won't do any damage to a th-350. It only controlls the 3 to 2 kickdown.

Now on trannys that uses a TV (throttle valve) cable like the 700R4 and 200 4R, the cable controlls line pressure and kickdown, so it MUST be hooked up and adjusted right

You will just have to manually downshift it i dont run the kick down on my th350 but my motor is a well built 383 and i like to manually shift a lot