Underhood Paint Color

Hello all,

I have a 70 MC with 69K on it. It was repainted once before I got her. My question is that the underside of the hood is painted the same color as the body (misty green), is this from the factory? I assumed that it would be black. Please let me know before I change it to back to black.

Thanks to all in advance.

Scott

I belive the underside of the hood came black from the factory. I just re-painted mine simi-gloss black and replaced the hood pad. And by the way my car is green as well...

Since my car is black I can't say for sure but I do believe the entire body, fenders and hood were all "dipped" in a dip (not spray) primer that was a lower gloss black then bakes at 390F. I assume a spray primer was then applied, baked at 325F then the lacquer topcoat was sprayed in the door jams, under hood edges, inside trunk lid and baked at 325F. The body may have been sprayed separately from the fenders and hood, I'll do some checking.

Bruce

Hey Scott, Welcome to the Madness here at FGMCC..... Dont forget to post some pics when you get a chance we all love to see pictures here and to give Newbies a rough time.....hahaha, unless you own a Chevelle the rough times come naturally so my brothers tell me here....lol.

Anyways I believe your gonna hear and see that most of our cars came with a Semi Gloss or Semi Flat Black underside on the hood, the preference on the finishes seems to be by choice. I have seen some cars though that have had the factory color follow through to the underside but once that color hits the second braceing skin that was tac welded onto the hoods is where it changed to Black and then had the hood insulation added or in some case's removed as they love to be a dust and dirt sponge...

Darren.

PS. Dont forget to Anti up on the $25 for a membership it will be one of the best $25 spent.........

I asked some "older" retired DuPont Paint people and got this reply:

"The hoods and fenders were primed in a black semi-gloss dip primer back in those days. My recollection is that nothing more was done to the non-exterior surfaces. Of course the hood and fenders were topcoated on the exposed surface and edges only. If the underside of the hood is something other than black, it most likely has been removed sometime and painted."

Hope this helps.

Bruce