Crankscraper or Windage tray??

TrunkMatt

Okay - on my 383 build I am going to use this pan:

IMG_20110927_151354.jpg

My question is --- should I use a cranksraper or a windage tray as well? How much do these actually help if it is a 95% street car???

I hear you can get a few more HP... but really, does it make a difference for street / strip?

A windage tray will benefit most engines by reducing air bubbles in oil. Crank scraper comes into play at much higher RPMs and would not be much help if any with a 95% street engine. Crank scrapers also take a lot of fitting.

Educate me here: I see the description of the pan says it has a trap-door baffle. Isn't that almost like having a windage tray?

Where IS a windage tray located? is it like half way up the pan around the back and sides? or is it that screen thingy that's curved under the length of the crank?

Trap door baffles keep the oil by the pickup by letting the oil flow toward the pickup, and closing to restrict the flow forward away form the pickup.

That is one of many styles of windage trays some are built into the pan, some are diamond mesh, some are curved, some flat.