Electric Holley red fuel pump location?

Outrider70

As some of you know, I inherited my Dads 70 Monte this summer. Its in the final stages of the build and he had bought a new Holley elec red fuel pump for it. The instructions say to place it as close to the tank as possible and level with the bottom of the tank. It has a new repo factory style tank with the usual pickup tube arrangement. As anyone who has spent time under these cars knows, the factory steel fuel line runs from the tank forward to the pass side of the car at about the top of the tank (if I remember correctly...) passes over the rearend, drops down to the bottom of the body then is attached to the frame and on up to the front of the car.

My problem is this; there really isn't room close to the tank, there's bearly room on the frame and the inlet and outlet on the pump are on the opposite side from where they need to be to mount on the frame. The instructions say the pump needs to be close to the tank because the pump is designed to push the fuel, not pull it from the tank.

Has anyone used this setup on a Monte (or other GM A body) with a stock fuel tank? It would be a cinch if the tank had a sump and bungs in the bottom, I'd just build a bracket and let it hang below the bumper a little for all the world to see rofl

The other option is just to use a mechanical pump. To be completely honest, I'm not really sure why he chose to use an elec pump. confused

p.s. Its carbed, not injected.

I am running the blue holly electric fuel pump. Mine is mounted to the front of the trunk floor. Just a hair above the stock fuel tank, and works just fine where it is mounted. I will get a picture tomorrow when I get home from work and post for you.

I was in the same boat and wanted to mount it in an inconspicuous location but without cutting any lines.

I got some 90 degree aluminum stock, made a bracket, and hung it off the bolt that holds the tank strap on the drivers side. Then I ran the rubber line into the stock hard line. Be sure to put a filter in front of the pump too. Good idea to get a relay switch - Summit sells a relay kit, but you will still need some extra wire (go figure!).

I'd go mechanical in a heartbeat if I could, but my block has no mechanical provisioning...bummer.

ok, thanks a lot. I can visualize where you are saying, I just didn't know if it would run ok there.

Ok. I have had mine mounted there for 2 years now with no issues. I'm running a 454 and it does not starve it for fuel.

I don't think they are particular about positioning; I mean you can mount it on its side, or upside-down, right?

Maybe on its side with a 90 degree fitting on the intake and exhaust facing different directions?

I wouldn't do it. You are going to spend money on tons of fittings, relay kit, wiring, pressure gauge, regulator, drilling holes in the car, and most of all, your time and the trips back and forth to the store.

A mechanical pump on a tame 383 would be fine, in my opinion. grin

I wouldn't do it. You are going to spend money on tons of fittings, relay kit, wiring, pressure gauge, regulator, drilling holes in the car, and most of all, your time and the trips back and forth to the store.

X2. ^^^^^^

David

Originally Posted By: 72 LS5

X2. ^^^^^^

David

I think a mechanical pump on a hot 600 hp 427 or 434 SBC would be fine, in my opinion.