return style regulator. whose using one

dbreese

I have used one before, don't have any pictures though, the reg should be mounted in front of the carb, and as close to it as possible, make sure the return line is as big as the feed line, if not larger (been there, made that mistake)

just ran the lines up the pass frame rail, try to keep them away from heat (insulate if needed)up over the wheel well inside the fender, out to the regulator.

there are many different ways to do it

What are your goals in performance?

If it`s basically stock and you are not going for all out power you can get away with your stock lines.

Here`s a photo of my old set-up, the regulator is mounted below the alternator to the left. I went from my hard (factory line) to a rubber line to the regulator and then up to the carb with a rubber line (you can see it pass in front of the valve cover) into a hard line (dual feed) with a pressure gauge.

On this set-up I didn`t use a return line but it would of been easy to come out of the regulator to the factory return line as it is only a foot away.

Even with my factory lines my car was running 12.04`s at a 112mph (a decent mph so it wasn`t starving for fuel at the top end).

2197906_2_full.jpg

Placing the regulator in front of the carb as Sam has stated is ideal (gravity under acceleration), particularly if it is a race car.

Now as I say that I will show you my newer set-up...I put mine to the "side" of the carb.

This goes against what "I" know about extreme high performance... frown ...but it was the only practical location with my return style regulator that I`m using.

The larger line on top is the feed, the smaller one on the bottom is the return, and the two on either side are the carb feeds.

The feed and return go over to the backside of the inner fender and drop down to the body mount disappearing "into" the frame, running the full length of the car to the tank.

Lines are even hidden in the frame as it arches over the rearend.

2197906_94_full.jpg

Bill,

Just looking to quiet down a holley blue pump. I have a modified 1/2 " pickup to a -8 line to a dead head reg from the reg -6 to the carb. It holds steady pressure. With a return I think it will help pump work more efficiently and quiet it down. I think once I get the traction issued worked out it outta run solid mid 12's.

I like how you have your reg mounted on the alt bracket. Very clean!

David

I had the holley blue and it was noisy, it never occured to me to hook up the return to quiet it down... frown

You will have to let us know if it works as I`m curious now...in theory it makes sense.

cool

Silly question; what is the value of one of these return systems? Keeping in mind my only bumper sticker says "There is more to life then gas milage"

With a mechanical pump it is not as important because you are running it from the motor of the car (quite powerful), although it doesn`t hurt to use it.

With an electric pump (running off the battery...not as powerful) with no return the pump is pushing the fuel against the dead head style regulator and has nowhere to go when at idle or low speeds.

This a strain on the pump making it run hot and not efficently. When it has a return the fuel has a steady flow even when the carb doesn`t need it the fuel flows constant with some going back to the tank.

The fuel acts as a coolant for the electric pump as fuel passes through it cooling it. And when it is always moving it keeps the pump happy. smile

my pump is loud goin down the road, would a piece of rubber quite the pump down since its bolt though the trunk.

My old holley blue came with a rubber mount and it was very loud...maybe it would of been even "louder" if I didn`t use the rubber eek

It couldn`t hurt to use a rubber mount, actually it`s recommended because of the vibration.

Even though my new Aeromotive pump is drastically quieter I still made my own rubber mounts...using four 1/2" sections of hose.

Inserting bolts through pump mount holes (4 total) and using the hose spacer between pump and frame mount, compressing them slightly...works really well.

cool

• 4 weeks later...

Installed a 12-803 bypass reg today. Not to difficult just had to plan out hose routes and fittings. After the install I turned on the pump and it seemed to be more quiet. I was able to dial down my fuel press to 3 psi so my return line is big enough (Factory 3/8 “ supply line). Fired up the engine and set the press @ 7 psi and it was rock steady. Took the car a ride. Lots of stop and go traffic and the pump stayed quiet....... as quiet as a blue pump could be.LOL. Made a couple of WOT runs and no problems. Once I got home and parked I got underneath where the pump is mounted and felt it. It was just a little warm so I guess all is good. I can still hear the pump at idle but it is not nearly as loud as before. Heading to the track in about a month to see how she does.

David