2 bbl to 4 bbl air cleaner

sdaztecs92115

Hi all, I am in the process of restoring my grandfathers 1970 Monte. I am replaig the tired 2 bbl and putting on a new manifold and 4bbl Holley. I am having a hard time finding an original 4bbl air cleaner assembly. I would like to keep everything as stock as possible. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'd post a wanted ad in the parts section. I'm sure someone has an old one that they will get rid of. They are not reproduced, so used is your only option. They are out there, usually pretty cheap.

Another question for the experts. If I upgrade to an HEI ignition, will the factory air cleaner still fit? Thanks

Well I am no expert, but on mine it has an HEI distributor and it had a 4bbl and an original intake and it fit. I think it all depends on the one you get and of course what engine you have and how close etc.

I would bet that if you check you can find one that fits and will allow you to keep the stock intake if that is the look your after. I just changed mine to a chrome open air breather but will retain the stock parts if I want to go back or for the RETRO look..lol....

But I'd say HEI is definitely the way to go if your going to do any cruising with it. Drivability is one thing that if it's not easy to start and run you won't use it as often and that's a shame. I learned a long time ago how to set points ignition, but in this day and age it's not worth the bother if your gonna drive em!!! As they should be!!!!

Scott

I have the HEI with an Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock carb and I just restored and installed a factory GM 4bbl air cleaner set up. The only mod I had to make is to use the 1" spacer between the carb and the air cleaner for clearance. It all still fit well, and hood clearance was no problem either.

"I have the HEI with an Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock carb and I just restored and installed a factory GM 4bbl air cleaner set up. The only mod I had to make is to use the 1" spacer between the carb and the air cleaner for clearance. It all still fit well, and hood clearance was no problem either."

I have the same set as Daryl and it works very well. I took the Holly off because it was leaking and the car was running rough and had very poor gas mileage.

I have the same set as Daryl and it works very well. I took the Holly off because it was leaking and the car was running rough and had very poor gas mileage.

Hey Larry, did you ever try a 1/2" spacer to see if that was enough?

I just went out to he garage and measured mine and it is only a 3/4" spacer. That is from the bottom to the lip where the air cleaner rest. It is a full inch if measured from the very bottom to the very top. That is what was on the car when I bought it just before Labor Day and have not tried anything else. I do have a 1" spacer under the carb though for the vacuum line to the power brake unit and the heater flap controls.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i just wanted to say a holley streat avenger and a k and n air fillter will serve you or any one well.k and n air filters allow more cleaner air to your engine that running it with no air filllter and catches almost all the dirt dust and what ever is in the air. And a holley carb is a easy adjustable carb and a newer aluminum streat avenjer is out that is 5 punds less than ordanary carbs.