cam break in

dimitri

i have a question about the break in period of a cam

im going to use the car for 95 % street use

ive heard stories of people damaging cams by not doing the break in right

and ive heard of people having not done any break in and the cam is just perfect

what is the true way to do it?

Depends on the type of cam Rob...a roller needs no break in period or special additives. With a flat tappet there is a necessary break in procedure (usually about 20-25 minutes at about 2500 rpm) but please check the instructions that come with the cam and follow those to avoid any warranty problems. A flat tappet will also need additives containing zinc to wear properly...

hello my names jacob helms I am a junior member and I love monte carlos and know a good bit about them like the firing order on chevy v8s 184 365 72. I have 2000saved up for one and was wondering about cams my grand dad knows alot about them but whats the best size and performance with a good deep rumble? If you have any sugestions let me know thanks and also like your cars alot.

jacob

whats the largest roller cam possible and dose thumper cams make them? also can I run a roller cam with hydrallic lifters and summit clynder heads? or do I need to have a summit cam and clynder heads.

Jacob

whats the largest roller cam possible and dose thumper cams make them? also can I run a roller cam with hydrallic lifters and summit clynder heads? or do I need to have a summit cam and clynder heads.

Jacob

Choosing a proper cam is not an easy task. There are many variables when it comes to cam selection. Bigger ain't always better. Things to take into consideration is primary use of the vehicle. Is it gonna be a cruiser, street/strip, strip with some street use or all out race? Engine compression (pump gas friendly, race gas) cylinder heads, vehicle weight, rear gearing, converter ( key component) Header primary tube size/ collector size and length, carburetor/intake combo. Ultimately you would want to provide as much info to the cam company tech who could make some recommendations for your application.

There are plenty of good books out there on high performance engine theroy and building. David Vizard has written numerous books. Might want to start with some of his basic stuff and go from there.

David

Choosing a proper cam is not an easy task. There are many variables when it comes to cam selection. Bigger ain't always better. Things to take into consideration is primary use of the vehicle. Is it gonna be a cruiser, street/strip, strip with some street use or all out race? Engine compression (pump gas friendly, race gas) cylinder heads, vehicle weight, rear gearing, converter ( key component) Header primary tube size/ collector size and length, carburetor/intake combo. Ultimately you would want to provide as much info to the cam company tech who could make some recommendations for your application.

There are plenty of good books out there on high performance engine theroy and building. David Vizard has written numerous books. Might want to start with some of his basic stuff and go from there.

David

dittodittoditto

Could not have said it better!

This is a great book Reher-Morrison Book It is a little pricy but has lots of info.

Another thing Jacob, what we are doing is Jumping on someone's post, not good. If you want to ask questions and you are welcome to, just start you own post.

Sorry for taking over your post Dimitri

Could not have said it better!

This is a great book Reher-Morrison Book It is a little pricy but has lots of info.

Another thing Jacob, what we are doing is Jumping on someone's post, not good. If you want to ask questions and you are welcome to, just start you own post.

Sorry for taking over your post Dimitri

Same here Dimitri, it was not my intention to jump your post. Sorry about that.

David

I calculated my compression ratio is 9.47:1 so i can run pump gas

and i could run also run raceing fuel too right not like 118 but 105 or 110 octane right.any way I have read 2 books on rebuilding engines i read cover to cover and have found a summit racing kit with cam, 62cc clyinder heads and timing chain and gears included .And a dual plain intake manifold lifters and I had just wanted to know if I could run a thaumper cam with that kit and I will not have a tiny cam I like the rumble with alot of power also I will be runing a holley aluminum streat avenger carb(its five pounds less than an ordinary carb.)

jacob

don't use your static compression to decide what fuel you need...your dynamic compression ratio is what you should use, and using a higher octane when not needed is throwing money away not to mention hurting performance