Fuel smell

7tonemonte

Ive had this for a while, but was pretty noticeable last night after running the car all day. Basically,after driving it and shutting the car off, I get a fuel smell and the car is kind of hard to start,like its flooded. I thought it was an issue before with the fuel percolating into the carb,so I rerouted my fuel line, I think its pretty far from anything that would cause it to boil like that. Its like the fuel keeps pumping into the carb after its turned off.

Any ideas what I should look for. Its an Edelbrock 600 electric choke.

Tony, after you shut it off take the air cleaner off and see if you can see fuel dripping off the venturies. The winter formula fuel in PA percolates easier than the summer formula. So even if the temps seem lower it will perk easier. Is the heat crossover in the intake blocked or open?

It could be a float adjustment issue and the residual pressure is getting past the needle and seat.

And is it possible it's more of a vapor lock condition? Is the fuel tank venting properly? I won't condone this test, as it is a definate possibility that fuel will spurt out, but loosening the fuel cap when you are having this problem may help. You will either hear air being sucked into the tank, or if there is excess pressure, it may blow some fuel out at you.